Shore Power How-To Help

yeesh

Cadet
I have a 1999 27' Searay Sundancer equipped with a Marinco 30 Amp, 125 Volt Shore Power system that I have no idea how to use. I bought the boat slightly used in 2002 and have never had a reason to try it out. We're planning a short trip to a marina next week and thought of actually using the boat for what it's designed for (i.e., family travel). No manuals for the system came with the boat and the Marinco site requires a part # which I can't seem to locate on the shore power receptacle. I tried to test it by plugging it in at my local marina, but panel in cabin shows a red light indicating reverse polarity. I was hoping someone here can take a minute to guide this newbie thru the process before I cause any damage to my electrical system. Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shore Power How-To Help

Post a picture of the shore power unit -- perhaps someone can identify it for you. You also can look for a label somewhere on the unit or behind the front cover. Anything powered by AC line voltage is normally identified as to manufacturer, model, voltage and maximum current..

yeesh

Cadet

Post a picture of the shore power unit -- perhaps someone can identify it for you. You also can look for a label somewhere on the unit or behind the ont cover. Anything powered by AC line voltage is normally identified as to manufacturer, model, voltage and maximum current..

Thanks for the reply, Silvertip. Think I've got it figured out. Turns out the polarity at the local "marina" is reversed. Took the boat up the Hudson to Haverstraw Marina, plugged it in and everything worked great- except the A/C (a separate issue with the seawater cooling pump). Thanks, again.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope you alerted the marina operator of the polarity issue. That can cause a dangerous condition for swimmers close to dock

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Boats are (usually) never at fault when it comes to reverse polarity, unless someone has been messing with the electrical system. Now, here's the kicker. Even in reverse polarity, everything is still going to work. It's just a safety hazard when you have to work on it and you thing the power leg of the circuit is dead and find it isn't. If you needed power for the night at a stop-over for the night and it shows red, you still will have the equipment working, but tell the marina.