Navionics HotMaps updates expired

Petey_racer

Cadet
This is not as much of a question but more of a rant.

I got the Navionics HotMaps chip for my Lowrance. It is a great chip and really has lots of detail. I though $150 was a bit much, but I know what goes into making one of these things and it was worth it to get the level of detail it gives.

That said, I went to update the maps for this year and it says my ONE YEAR of "Freshest Data" has expired, and I can renew for 50% off...or $75!
So am I to believe that to keep up to date with the maps I must spend $75 a year? Just so I can see the maps for the same area that I always go boating???
I also cannot update my PC App either. I get an error message. I can only assume it is because my chip is out of date.
I just think only one year of updates is pretty stingy.

Am I the only one this bothers? Is there an alternative to Navionics?

Either way, I am fine with the chip the way it is. Maybe I'll get an update in another year or two.
Don't get me wrong, it's not the $75. It's the principle of the thing.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Navionics HotMaps updates expired

It bothers everyone else too but that's the way it is with anything anymore. They can't make money off the devices so they make it off the updates to keep it working.

Alumarine

Captain

So am I to believe that to keep up to date with the maps I must spend $75 a year? Just so I can see the maps for the same area that I always go boating???.

You will still be able to see the maps you currently have. They just won't be updated with new data.
Most of the reefs should stay put...

NYBo

Admiral

Regular charts aren't updated that frequently (the info for some areas goes back to the 1920s, IIRC), so I wonder what the deal is.:confused:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If the charts work now ........ they will continue to work. There has not been any major underwater construction ........ maybe some dredging and you should be fine. My car GPS is the same way and I have onle been in a few places (far away from home) where roads changed so I did it the old fashioned way and kept my eyes open.

Expidia

Commander

Why update? The best deals are on their 1-2 year old chips, but they sell out fast.

Petey_racer

Cadet

Thanks all.
I know it will still work fine for years, but like my GPS's I like to update the maps from time to time.

NYBo, that was my thought as well. Things do NOT change that drastically from year to year (well, maybe a bit after last year's storm :eek:), so why such a premium every year. I guess they assume most folks will be like me and not update for several years.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I've got an older hotmaps chip (N3) and don't plan on upgrading ever, it's already got every dang lake that's 80+ acre in size near me and It's got HD maps of most of the bigger lakes. Upgrading to the newest chip would only give me 200-300 more pothole size lakes over a 5 state area and a hand full more HD maps. Definately not wort 150$ for a new one.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

I read the agreement when I bought the chip and understood that the purchase price included one free year of updates. I only renew it if there are updates for the areas that I'm concerned with. I also watch the USGS maps to see when they are updated and use Map Create 7 to create my own maps. The updates are great if you don't want to do the work yourself but you can do it yourself and save the money.

In most cases the lake information that you need to update your own maps with corrected depths is the surface elevation that was used at the time the maps were created or last updated. If you email Navionics, they will give you that information and you can then update the depths and identify any new hazards or fishing spots.

You can also search the USGS archives for hydrologic data for the lake that your interested in. If it's ever been done it should be there.

While you cannot use your GPS to determined elevation and establish true lake elevation, you can use the surface elevation that was used at the time of the mapping and then use your calibrated sonar (fish finder) to establish the current depths. This will give you a fairly accurate mapping baseline that you can use for correction purposes.

Baseline shorlines can be established using the new infrared USGS mapping if its been done for the lake your interested in. Those are a little more difficult to use right now because the true surface level elevations of the lake at the time of the mapping are not provided. It would be difficult for them to provide those but hopefully new technology will emerge to add that in the future.