Through Hull Bilge Pump For livewell questions

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i am making a live well for my 16.5 starcraft fishing boat. it is aluminum v bottom. my question is has anyone ever used a through hull bilge pump? also with the boat in the water will the water push though the pump or does the pump have to be on for water to move through. i am worried that when im boating it will keep pushing water into the tank. which i guess is not to big of a problem because ill be having the pressured water going into the tank and pouring on top of the water line in the tank to aerate the water and having a 10 inch pipe with screen in there so once the water gets over a 10in or 12 what ever i do it will just go into the drain. also for the drain should i just run the drain into the bottom of the boat and let that main bilge pump pump the water out of the bottom of the boat or should i run it to the side of the boat and let it go out the side when ever it overfills.
thanks for your help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Through Hull Bilge Pump For livewell questions

why re-invent the wheel

livewell pump to supply water to livewell - usually thru an aeration header

livewell drain usually has a removable stand pipe. drain exits the boat, not into the bilge.

you never want to intentionally pump water int a bilge

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

why re-invent the wheel

livewell pump to supply water to livewell - usually thru an aeration header

livewell drain usually has a removable stand pipe. drain exits the boat, not into the bilge.

you never want to intentionally pump water int a bilge

ok not fimilur how they were set up.
but is a livewell pump simple a bilge pump thru the hull?!
:confused:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

in a word, yes.

a pump specifically mounted in a housing intended to sit in the bottom of a bilge is a bilge pump
a pump specifically mounted to a transom with an inlet filer screen for intended use of providing water to a livewell is a livewell pump.

found this on google http://www.customlivewells.com/Pages/setup.aspx

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sweet. that exactly what i needed thanks