fish finders that use round plugs??

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
on the back of my boat i have a speed and temp wheel. and also a fish finder sonar piece. i followed the wires and there i find the plugs tucked up under the dash section. does anyone no of the top of there head what fish finder unit uses round plugs. i looked around and cant really find anything, i was hoping to just buy a new fish finder since i dont have one but use the 2 plugs that are already there instead of running new wires and whaat not. but theres no stamps or id tags on the wires or the units. ill count the plugs inside the plug when i get home. maybe that will help out. any helps greatly appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: fish fiders that us round plugs??

Pictures of the transducer and the speedometer paddle wheel would certainly help. But Eagles and Lowrance head units in the past had used round plugs. There were both gray and black plugs. They are not interchagable.

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2012-07-25_06-00-40_990.jpg
2012-07-25_06-01-00_849.jpg
2012-07-25_06-01-22_724.jpg
2012-07-25_06-01-36_787.jpg
2012-07-25_06-01-44_759.jpg
hope these helps. only found a tag on one of the sensors.
checked, checked, and re-checked from wires to sensors and found no stamps or anything.
hope someone can help save me some time and money lol

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also if someone has and idea what those stupid metal things are next to each sensor is let me know. ya the ones with like a million undeeded bolts going into my transom

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

They look like some kind of homemade trim tabs. That might have been a Lowrance or eagle from the transducer plug. Your not likely to find a matching head for something that old.

emoney

Commander

Those plugs look to me like they go into an older Raymarine (Raytheon). I've got an older one at home that I'll try to check when I'm off work. I know for a fact it takes a round plug.

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lowrance X52 200 kHz Fishfinder?
COULD THIS BE IT. i looked around and found this one online for $160. the mounting bracket left on the dash looks exactly the same.
this is probley a stupid question but if i buy a newer lowrance fish finder will the plugs fit or did they change them. if not and i should start from sratch. what would you recomend. i do want temp also. speed would be nice but not if its gonna be alot of money. hell if they have a unit (any brand) that can show a gps, speed, temp, and finder, for a decent price i might buy that. i do own a place in iowa and florida so when i go back and forth i plan on taking the boat with me. the gps would be real nice. maybe 300-400. cheaper would be great but you cant own a ferrari for the price of a honda civic

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

look like the Lowrance plugs. googling the hs-wsbk comes up as a Lowrance/Eagle skimmer transducer

the bracket looks like someones attempt at a poor-boy trim tab

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The speed paddle wheel and the transducer are both Lowrance/Eagle. Tghe "HS" tag on the transducer cable is also a positive ID. The only thing you need to be careful of is that you look at the "T" and the "V" formation in the very center of each of the plugs. Those are keys to prevent inserting them into the wrong socket on the head unit. If you are looking at a head unit, make sure you get a close up picture of the sockets to ensure the plugs will fit. I don't know what the Lowrance model equivalents are but I had an Eagle Ultra 3 plus that used those connectors. Any Eagle Ultra or Ultra 3 should be fine. The temperature probe is built into the paddle wheel mount. So if the head unit has the water temp and speed function you should be good to go.

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Humminbird? 365 i Sonar GPS Combo. i think im just going to buy this unit and seal up the holes when i remove the other units.. i think this will be nice plus it has a removable bracket so when i go home i can remove the unit so it dont get stolen or whatever. thanks for the help. i found one of those ultra 3 units but they are out of date imo for being 159.00 online. ebay for 100. not feeling that. maybe if someone on this form has a fishfinder they want to sell ill buy it but if not ill buy this for myself on black friday ;):cool:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Humminbird? 365 i Sonar GPS Combo. i think im just going to buy this unit and seal up the holes when i remove the other units.. i think this will be nice plus it has a removable bracket so when i go home i can remove the unit so it dont get stolen or whatever. thanks for the help. i found one of those ultra 3 units but they are out of date imo for being 159.00 online. ebay for 100. not feeling that. maybe if someone on this form has a fishfinder they want to sell ill buy it but if not ill buy this for myself on black friday ;):cool:

Hardly out of date: Those were darn good locators. At $169 a bit over priced for the age but never-the-less they were a good locator. They even had 5 or 6 built in songs. Anchors Aweigh being one of them.

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok ill keep an eye out for one then. thanks.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Right, there is nothing wrong with the Lorance or Eagle (same company) but, get the new humminbird if you can, you'll never be sorry having the GPS and they work good. The speed from the Humminbird is from the GPS, no paddle wheel unless you buy that as an extra but it does have surface temp. I always put a piece of plastic like starboard on the transom to mount transducers, etc. I do have to drill holes to mount it but after that I can move or replace anything I want without putting any more holes in the boat. Seal the existing holes with flathead SS screws and 5200, than put the board over them with more 5200, it will never leak. FYI, Last time I did this I couldn't find any starboard and used a piece of my wife's plastic cutting board cut to 4" X 12" . It worked just fine but she wasn't real happy until I got her a new board.

edit: Humminbird factory outlet has the 581i on sale for $315 right now. Its a fish locator/ GPS combo and is at the lower end of your price range.

Good luck

Last edited:

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i found this unit online for 299.99 free shipping. can i flush mount this kit. or should i not. ill have plenty of dash to do this. what id really like to do is mount it on the dash and have a second mount up front so when im trolling i can watch the finder. can this be done if so no flush mount. if not without running more than one set up then flush mount it is. (i dont want to put 2 transducers can it all be wired as one giving me a secondary mounting location for move the finder around)

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I think Humminbird sells the stuff to do that. I just turn mine around and look at the "big" digits display through the windshield from the front of the boat.