Stern light pole with accessible wiring?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking for a 3/4" round stern light pole with light on top which would allow me to attach it to my existing wiring...ie. the wiring comes out of the bottom of the pole. I don't need a base for it, just a 24-36" pole with the light on top. Seems as though all the new style pole style stern lights are meant to plug into a base that the wiring is attached to. Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stern light pole with accessible wiring?

I am looking for a 3/4" round stern light pole with light on top which would allow me to attach it to my existing wiring...ie. the wiring comes out of the bottom of the pole. I don't need a base for it, just a 24-36" pole with the light on top. Seems as though all the new style pole style stern lights are meant to plug into a base that the wiring is attached to. Thanks.

So remove the connector at the bottom of the poll and pull out the excess wire. Splice to your existing wiring and away you go.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

So remove the connector at the bottom of the poll and pull out the excess wire. Splice to your existing wiring and away you go.

Thanks and good suggestion, but I'm not so sure that there is a connector on the bottom of the pole. From what I can tell, they do not appear to have one.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I'd spend the $30 and get a new base and a plug in pole. I hate having the pole in the way all the time with a permanent mount.

I've thought about that, but finding a base whose base foot print matches up exactly to my old base, or is larger, is the challenge. Also, my boat is a 40+ year old classic and I would like to keep as much existing OEM hardware on it as I can.

Actually, I don't need a new pole, just a new globe for the existing one but I have yet to find a replacement globe that fits.

NYBo

Admiral

Actually, I don't need a new pole, just a new globe for the existing one but I have yet to find a replacement globe that fits.
Post a picture of your light.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Post a picture of your light.

IMG_0769.jpg I don't know what the diameter is and I don't have access to my boat until this weekend.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've thought about that, but finding a base whose base foot print matches up exactly to my old base, or is larger, is the challenge. Also, my boat is a 40+ year old classic and I would like to keep as much existing OEM hardware on it as I can.

In your initial post you were looking for a pole with a light on it. Those are readily available and most are removable so they MUST have a connector on the bottom. Remove your existing pole if that's what you originally intended and replace it with the new one after removing the connector and extracting the extra wire. Right here on IBoats is a good selection of stern lights including just the pole and light as well as the complete pole and base (And they aren't $30 but you can pay more if you like).
http://www.iboats.com/All-Round-Anc...5086185--session_id.686691332--view_id.236393

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

In your initial post you were looking for a pole with a light on it. Those are readily available and most are removable so they MUST have a connector on the bottom. Remove your existing pole if that's what you originally intended and replace it with the new one after removing the connector and extracting the extra wire. Right here on IBoats is a good selection of stern lights including just the pole and light as well as the complete pole and base (And they aren't $30 but you can pay more if you like).
http://www.iboats.com/All-Round-Anc...5086185--session_id.686691332--view_id.236393

Since I've had no luck in finding a new globe for the existing pole, I figured I'd just try and buy a new pole that would work with my base. In any case, you're probably right, but before I order anything, it would be nice to confirm that I can easily get to the wires.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Since I've had no luck in finding a new globe for the existing pole, I figured I'd just try and buy a new pole that would work with my base. In any case, you're probably right, but before I order anything, it would be nice to confirm that I can easily get to the wires.

You are a hard sell! In order to solder the wires to the plug on a pole they need a little extra wire, then the extra wire and plug is inserted and locked with a screw. Yes -- there is enough wire. If not, remove the light, add longer wire. This ain't rocket science.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

You are a hard sell! In order to solder the wires to the plug on a pole they need a little extra wire, then the extra wire and plug is inserted and locked with a screw. Yes -- there is enough wire. If not, remove the light, add longer wire. This ain't rocket science.

OK then! Thanks.