trolling motor hookup to pontoon boat

gsthib

Cadet
I just bought a Min Kota Trolling motor and I am trying to hookup it up? What is the best way to do so? Do I buy a new battery? Can I use my boat battery. If I buy new battery I would like it to charge of my motor. What do I need to do this? I am very frustrated with Minn Kota not sure if the motor is a 12 volt or 24 volt? Also my battery is located in the stern of the boat and the trolling motor is in the bow... The battery cable is not long enough, what do I do with this?? Help please.:confused:

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: trolling motor hookup to pontoon boat

First, you need to dtermine if your trolling motor is 12 or 24 volt. Until you know that you can't move forward.
Second. If you use the trolling motor for any length of time, your outboard will not be able to keep the battery charged.
Third You should use a dedicated battery for your trolling motorand recharge after use with a battery charger. Wiring size will depend on the size of the motor and distance from battery. Minn Kota has a chart for this on their website.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

gsthib

Cadet

How can I tell if it is a 12 or 24 volt? It does not say in the manual, very vague manual.

NYBo

Admiral

What is the model number and thrust rating?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If it is 55# thrust or less it is a 12 volt motor. If it is more than 55# it is a 24 volt version. If it is a 12 volt unit you need one group 27 minimum deep cycle. If it is a 24 volt version you need two group 27s. No! You cannot use your starting battery for the troller unless you like to paddle and pontoons do not paddle easily. Where you mount the battery is up to you. The size wire you use depends on where the battery is. So you see -- you need to help us help you.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since you have the manual you should be able to use the model number to find specs. on the web. Once you have this info, post back and we will help guide you on how to wire it (wire size, circuit breaker size etc)
How can I tell if it is a 12 or 24 volt? It does not say in the manual, very vague manual.