Double Battery Container - Box - Holder - not sure

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright guys...looking for some "IDEAS" here. I've search the forum's looking for pictures and things others have done...but not really getting any traction on some ideas to apply to my issue....here's the story...things are moving along nicely on the motor, however I am waiting for some parts (flywheel Key to be exact..but that's another story/thread) so figured i could move my attention to another area of the boat. I already plan on changing the setup to run double battery's with the 1, 2, 1+2 switch. My current setup is a single battery in a plastic box stuffed under the stern deck. There is a small space on either side of the splash well that is just large enough for the battery/gas. I want to put the battery's on the driver (SB) side to reduce the amount of wiring i want to do. I don't think i can get both battery's under the stern deck, so i need to do something - just can't figure it out by looking at it. I'm at work now but i'll snap some pictures later today and put them up. I'm thinking I am going to have to build a box that connects to the under side of the deck with a hatch, so I have one battery under the deck and then on in the box, if that makes sense...they would still be next to each other, i could mount the switch close and have access if I needed to. however....
I then lose some floor space and have a weird stickout...that i am sure will cost me a few jammed pinky toes...
I am wondering if anyone out there has ANY other ideas or their boat has a unique battery setup or has done some type of custom battery box work that they can share pictures of??? Any ideas would be great...i'm just not happy with my own...

Basic info - Previous Owner Treated The Boat Like Crap...I'm bringing it back to life ~ I just got it a few weeks ago.
16ft 1984 Bayliner Capri Cuddy (1600)
1984 85hp Force Outboard Motor

Re: Double Battery Container - Box - Holder - not sure

a little confussed about what you are trying to do with out pictures but a few pointers might help

the batterys dont have to be next to each other they can be far apart as long as the wire connected to the switch is large enoght.
the switch doesnt have to be mounted near the batterys either and should be put somewhere you can get to it while in the boat. im rebuilding my boat so thats something i plan to fix as the switch is mounted in the rear and the door opens towards the boat so you have to lean over the door to get to the switch which you can not see unless you climb into the splashwell. any where you mount the batterys is not going to save you a major amount of wire and mounting batterys the same side as you sit wouldnt do the balance much good and is a large price to pay to save a few feet of wire

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info...i guess the wiring is not as much as a concern...just keeping the battery's close to each other seemed easy for me (charging, removal etc) ...i think im looking for more help in placement and structures...balance should be ok if I have the two battery's on one side and a 12gallon tank on the other, and with the floor space so small on my boat, I need to be as creative as possible with every nook and cranny...

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After doing a little measuring it looks like both battery's should fit into the SB side underneath the deck. I think I will still build a small custom box to enclose them, but i think they will fit.Battery1.jpg