Looking for help with gauges on 1987 Starcraft Mariner

mpm87

Cadet
Hello all,

I am what you call a novice when it comes to electrical, so I have been reading the electrical forum to see if someone has already asked/answered my concerns. I have seen many diagrams of gauge wiring setups (Thanks Silvertip!), but I still have a couple of questions that I would be greatly appreciated if you could shed some light on them for me. I installed a new fuel gauge, but it is not working properly. I saw Silvertip's diagram about daisy chaining these together, but I need to see how each of the other gauges are wired because its a rat's nest if you know what I mean! Let me also preface this by saying that the fuel tank is brand new and I just placed it's first $40 of gas in the tank yesterday (35 gal tank) and the fuel gauge is not showing any level.

I understand that the ignition powers the gauges, but what turns on the lights to all the gauges? Are the lights supposed to 1) Turn on when the ignition is turned on, so that they are on all the time , 2) Turn on with the Nav light switch, Or 3) be wired to a separate switch just for the lights to work?

The reason I ask is, because when I turn on the Nav light switch, all the gauges go wacky (or spike if you will). In addition, with this Nav switch- shouldn't you be able to control the Bow Light and Stern Light separately? I currently cannot- it's either both or none at all.

If there is a thread already addressing these issues, I sincerely apologize for not seeing it and would be very grateful if you could direct me to it. Sorry for the "book" I have just wrote!

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Looking for help with gauges on 1987 Starcraft Mariner

The instrument light lights can be wired in any of the three ways you listed. Mine came from the factory as per #1, and I continued that when I replaced the gauges.

The navigation light circuit should be completely separate from the gauges, so there is definitely a gremlin in your wiring. And, yes, you need the ability to control the bow and stern lights separately: the stern light only when anchored, both on when underway.

It sounds like someone wired the nav lights to the ignition switch (which is incorrect), and there is a problem with either the negative or positive feed.

It may be easier to start over if you can't make heads nor tails of the current "explosion in a spaghetti factory" that is your current wiring.