Vhf issues... Is it likely the antenna?

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I found out last weekend that my Vhf transmits but doesn't receive unless the squelch is so low that I have static when nobody is keyed. This is even when the boat transmitting is tied to me. Today, I tested and I don't receive the weather channels either.

My question, before I go tomorrow to buy a new antenna, is the problem likely the antenna or the radio?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Vhf issues... Is it likely the antenna?

If you are transmitting properly, that should mean the antenna is okay. How sure are you that you are transmitting properly?

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Since you were rafted up with another boat, you should have swapped radios with your buddy and found out for sure which was bad. Maybe it's not too late?

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

He was able to hear me from 100ft but I couldn't hear him from 8 unless I turned the squelch down.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The connectors on VHF antennas have a very high failure rate.

Cut a foot or two of the cable off and install a new connector. If that does not do it, you have a problem with the receiver portion of your radio.

jhebert

Ensign

I found out last weekend that my Vhf transmits but doesn't receive unless the squelch is so low that I have static when nobody is keyed. This is even when the boat transmitting is tied to me. Today, I tested and I don't receive the weather channels either.

Using NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts is a good method to check the operation of your VHF Marine Band radio receiver. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/antennaRange.html

for some suggestions

If your antenna, transmission line, and receiver are working properly, you should be able to receive NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts from a local station and also from a more distant station. If you can receive NOAA Weather Radio at a range of 50-miles or more, it is a good sign your antenna, transmission line, and receiver are working well.

There is no simple way to test the transmitter, other than calling another station (that is known to be in good working order) that is at least 5-miles away. Checking with a boat at close range proves nothing, and often causes confusing results because many VHF Marine Band radio receivers will be overloaded by a strong signal as from a 25-watt station located within a few hundred feet. Check the transmitter with a station at least five miles away.

VHF "issues" are only resolved by the Federal Communications Commission. Malfunctions in the operation of your radio can only be resolved by a licensed technician. Unless you happen to hold the proper license, you are forbidden to make any adjustments to the radio or make repairs to it. If the receiver seems to have malfunctioned, return the radio to the dealer or manufacturer for service or replacement.

NYBo

Admiral

He was able to hear me from 100ft but I couldn't hear him from 8 unless I turned the squelch down.
That's hardly a definitive test. I would start with dingbat's suggestion unless you can swap out equipment.

fairbank56

Cadet

Unscrew the antenna plug from the radio and pull it away so that the center pin is still making contact but the outer part of the connector is not touching the radio. If you can't hear another radio transmitting (and breaking squelch) from 8' (or way further for that matter) away, you have a radio problem. As far as having to have an FCC license to service the radio, that only applies if you are adjusting/servicing circuits that affect the transmitted signal. Not that your going to be able to service it anyway without having the required knowledge/experience in troubleshooting/servicing marine electronic equipment but you could for example, replace a bad speaker, power switch, display...etc. without an FCC license.

When you receive with the radio unsquelched, is it full quieting (loud and clear with no noise)? If so, the radio likely has a fault in the squelch circuitry. If the received signal is "in the noise" it's likely a bad RF amplifier. Either one will require servicing by an experienced tech. BTW, that noise you hear with the radio unsquelched is not static, it's receiver noise generated almost entirely within the receiver circuitry.

Eric
Experienced FCC licensed service tech