new single wire alternator help

in to deep

Seaman
Just got a new alternator and it only has a single post.
my 1979 omc stern drive system has a 3 wire for the old alternator!

the new alternator has a built in regulator!
so my question is ( if i get it wrong please correct but be kind as its a ego thing)

with the new alternator i can do away with the old regulator mounted on the thermostat houseing!
then the just attach the charging wire to the battery terminal on the starter ! ?
then that will charge both battery's from the dual battery switch when it is in the both battery's position??

did i get this right????

In Too Deep ?? Go All The Way !!:rolleyes:

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: new single wire alternator help

You need to tell us what kind of starter,on what engine,where is the starter solenoid?

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That regulator is called a self-exciter. When it spins up it will start charging on its own. Very common in diesels. And yes it will work like you asked. Make sure its got a good ground.

in to deep

Seaman

ops sorry what i have is a 1979 omc GM 181 cid 3.0L 4cyl.
the old alternator went out, so i went to napa and they said the 3 wire alternator
they could not get but they could get a newer type alternator that was a replacement for the old
3 wire setup.
question! i have is what to do with the old regulator? that is mounted on the thermostat housing on the
omc 3.0L engine, do away with it?? as it is there is no way to connect it to the new alternator but if i leave it how will it effect
the new alternator?? i am sorry but i do not have much experience! with this type of repair or modification!
i see the main charging wire that goes to the back of the gm starter solenoid, and the + battery cable the goes up to the dual battery switch.
but on the dual battery switch there is two small terminals marked field??? what do you connect to these???

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Is it a car or a marine alternator. It is a bad idea to use a car type on a boat due to fuel fumes in the engine compartment.

in to deep

Seaman

it is a marine alternator but it is for a newer mercruiser gm 3.0L

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

So,I imagine with the GM 3.0,the solenoid is on the starter? if that's the case,you can hook up the 'one wire to the large post on the starter. Remove the regulator and it's wiring,and save it. You will probably find that you have to rev your engine up a little,like 1000 rpm to excite the alternator so it begins to charge.

in to deep

Seaman

that i have noticed! having to rev the engine to get the alternator to perk it's self up ( wakeup )
Been thinking that maybe there must be a newer setup for a regulator for this new style alternator.
But i'll be damed if i can find any info or any wireing diagrams for this
any one been down this road??
And yes the solenoid like all older gm starters is on the starter