how to wire a 2 amp audio setup

dane112

Cadet
Ok guys here's a question for ya. i have purchaser my audio setup for my boat. i have a powerful 1 channel amp for my sub and a 4 channel amp for my 6 speakers. how do i exactly wire this. do you connect amps together or just both straight to the back of the head? Does anyone have a diagram at hand? Thanks

NYBo

Admiral
Re: how to wire a 2 amp audio setup

I'm no expert by any means, but i think it depends on the amps and the head unit.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will need a crossover to split the bass frequency from the 4 other channels and drive it to just the sub. Hopefully your stereo already has pre-amp outputs for all 4 channels and the subwoofer with a built-in crossover, if not you will need to add this component to your system. Once you have 6 pre-amp outputs it's just connecting the outputs to the correct amp inputs, then the outputs of the amps to the speakers.

Then you move on to the power wiring, where you will likely need to run some new power leads from the battery to run those amps, then remote turn on leads to the stereo and you should be all set.

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What head unit and what amp?

The head unit on my 2,500W system has a sub output and main outputs. The amps have pass through outputs to permit multiple amps on the same channel. My observations are that the pass through works fine.

StereoWiringR9.jpg

dane112

Cadet

ok i have a rockford fosgate head unit - RFX9700CD
and i have two Alpine PDX 4.100 amps.... ( 4x100watt channels)
i have 4 8" full range coax speakers... Rockford fosgate m282b
and two 6" full range coax speakers... rockford fosgate m262b
and a 12" rockford fosgate subwoofer...

dane112

Cadet

also the head unit has •3 Sets of 2V preamp outputs (front, rear and subwoofer)... if that helps

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a powerful 1 channel amp for my sub and a 4 channel amp for my 6 speakers.
and i have two Alpine PDX 4.100 amps.... ( 4x100watt channels)
According to the Alpine PDX 4.100 User Manual that amplifier is a 4 channel amplifier. It may be configured as 4 channels, 2 channels or 3 channels.

The six speakers and one sub don't work well with two of these amplifiers.

If the preference is to have all six setup as front speakers, then these amps won't work. These amps do not have a pass through and these amps do not accept speaker level input. A pass through would permit the second amp to also get the front speaker signals. A speaker level input would permit wiring to the head unit speaker terminals.

ok i have a rockford fosgate head unit - RFX9700CD
According to the Rockford Fosgate RFX9700CD User Manual the head unit has separate outputs for the subwoofer and for the main speakers.

Assuming a different amp is used for the four speakers, then the R/L Front Out and the SUB1 / SUB2 Out could feed the amp as shown in page 9 of the User Manual for 3-channel mode for two speakers and for the subwoofer.

dane112

Cadet

ok so if i was to get rid of one of my PDX's... what woukd you suggest buying to run my other 4 speakers? im looking for something pretty cheap but good and compatible with my speakers....

dane112

Cadet

my plan was to run 2 front speakers and rear speakers on the one amp.. and on the other run the sub woofer and another 2 rear speakers. what do you think....

dane112

Cadet

ok my understanding was... the amp has 4 channel... front L/R rear L/R?? i would run 4 speakers in one amp. then on the other i would bridge 2 channels, run my sub woofer... and have the other two channels for my other 2 speakers. could this work or would you still recommend buying a different amp for my 4 speakers

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Umm before you load up that boats electrical system check your alt output...45 amps is std and those amps will not be good for it

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok my understanding was... the amp has 4 channel... front L/R rear L/R?? i would run 4 speakers in one amp. then on the other i would bridge 2 channels, run my sub woofer... and have the other two channels for my other 2 speakers. could this work or would you still recommend buying a different amp for my 4 speakers
Yes, it could be wired to have one amp drive four speakers connected to the head unit R/L Rear output and the other amp connected to the head unit R/L Front output and the head unit subwoofer output.

Is the front and rear audio identical, or does the head unit modify the rear audio to create spacial effects? I wouldn't wire the amps to the front and rear outputs.

IMO, keep one of these amps and swap the other to one w/ either pass through or one w/ speaker level inputs.

dane112

Cadet

What do youmean by in the audio identical? Where else can you run the amps ... i thought this head unit had 3 amp outputs, front rear and sub woofer. is there an amp you recommend? thanks for your time

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the front and rear audio identical, or does the head unit modify the rear audio to create spacial effects? I wouldn't wire the amps to the front and rear outputs.
What do youmean by in the audio identical? Where else can you run the amps ... i thought this head unit had 3 amp outputs, front rear and sub woofer.
The music that will be playing on the head unit is stereo, one right front and one left front channel.

The typical reason for rear outputs is to add a time delay between the front speakers and the rear speakers, to create the audio illusion that the listening environment is larger, mimicing the echo that returns from the rear wall in a hall. The rear volume is frequently less than the front volume for the same reason.

That works okay in a house and in a car. It may work okay on your boat, I don't know.

But, if the intent is to not have that effect and instead have only front speakers, then one amp should either pass through the R/L input to a R/L output, or have the ability to accept speaker level inputs.

The manual for your head unit sucks. It does not list any information on the rear output modes or operation.

is there an amp you recommend?
No, I won't make a recommendation.

This JL Audio M200/2 has line level pass through. It will drive into a 2 ohm load, so your 4 ohm speakers in parallel would be a 2 ohm load.

There are LOTS of options for an amp.

The one you have would be functional, but could cause audio perception issues due to running from the rear outputs.

x136M2002-O.jpeg

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

What do youmean by in the audio identical? Where else can you run the amps ... i thought this head unit had 3 amp outputs, front rear and sub woofer. is there an amp you recommend? thanks for your time

Take a Y splitter off the front RCA outputs from your head unit. Run one set of RCAs to the front channels on your 4 speaker amplifier, and the other set of RCAs to the non-bridged channels on your speaker/sub amplifier. Problem solved.

dane112

Cadet

ok guys thankyou.. and slide, are you suggesting that my 2 PDX 4 channel amps would be fine if i wired this as you just explained?