Question on perko switch with two batteries

adviner

Cadet
I connected my two batteries like so:
Negative cable to one battery then another wire from that battery to the other batteries negative terminal
Positive from one battery to #1 on the perko switch and positive on battery two on #2 perko switch
Connected the positive cables to the common switch on the perko switch

My question is that I hear people saying that they will start with #1 then as they are moving put the switch on all to charge both batteries. Then when when you stop put the switch to #2.

My question is if I put the switch to all. Doesn't it change it to 24volt and could ruin my batteries and anything else? Or will it be ok and charge both batteries at 12 volts?

Thanks

nate1220

Seaman
Re: Question on perko switch with two batteries

My switch has two neg. wires and two pos. wires. Your batteries shouldn't have to be connected together.

adviner

Cadet

Here is mine. Im using diagram #1 for my connection
photo.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member

I connected my two batteries like so:
Negative cable to one battery then another wire from that battery to the other batteries negative terminal
Positive from one battery to #1 on the perko switch and positive on battery two on #2 perko switch
Connected the positive cables to the common switch on the perko switch

My question is that I hear people saying that they will start with #1 then as they are moving put the switch on all to charge both batteries. Then when when you stop put the switch to #2.

My question is if I put the switch to all. Doesn't it change it to 24volt and could ruin my batteries and anything else? Or will it be ok and charge both batteries at 12 volts?

Thanks

You are over thinking this . . . not going to get 24 volts unless you connect the batteries in 'series' which it sounds like you did not. Plus you would have fried everything by now and would be posting about that, etc.

The only thing that is confusing about what you have written is what I have put in bold type above. Generally, there is only one common positive cable that leads back from the perko switch to the engine . . . connecting to the positive stud at the starter. You mention "cables", which leads me to believe that you may not have the system set up correctly. So, check it out just to be sure.

As far as using the perko switch, you will hear all kinds of methods in terms of its use. There is really no wrong way to use the switch, so long as it is installed/wired properly. It is all a matter of preference. So, what do you prefer? #1, #2, Both, none? I go with Both.

adviner

Cadet

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure cause someone asks me if by setting it to all would it be charging at 24volts and I had no idea.

When I meant common switch, I meant exactly what you said:

there is only one common positive cable that leads back from the perko switch to the engine

My boat has three positive cables and three negative cables. I'm assuming one is for the main engine/starter and the others are for stereo, etc. so I just took the three positive cables coming from the boat and put that on the common lead on the perko switch. The three negative cables I just left on the original battery and connected another one from that batteries negative battery to the other batteries negative post.
Basically it's weird like diagram one. Except that instead of just having one positive and one negative cable from the boat. Mine has three positive and three negative from the boat.