Have stern light base but no insert

10000lakes

Cadet
I have an older Crestliner. I am wondering if there is an insert available for the stern light that has the contacts? I have the base and collar that are in good shape, but there is no plug in with contacts. Is there a way to wire something with the old base?

10000lakes

Cadet
Re: Have stern light base but no insert

I was refering to the pole type stern light where you stick the pole into the socket

NYBo

Admiral

Exactly which part are you missing, the contacts for the bulb or the contacts at the bottom end of the pole??:confused:

10000lakes

Cadet

Here is a picture of the base. When you plug the pole into the base, what gives it power?boatbase.jpglightbase.jpg

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1971 Starcraft still had the old stern light when I got it about 5 years ago....the pole of the stern light did not "plug" into any
electrical connection like most newer ones do...the was no bottom to the hole in the base...it was like a car antenna..when not in use
you shoved the light pole down the the hole as far as it would go...when you needed the stern light you raised it back up...you never
completely removed the pole unless you were trying to repair it...there was extra length of wire coming out the end of the pole
to allow for the movement..and the wiring was hooked up to ground and the navigation light switch....I'm not sure thats what you have..
my base had a ring on it to clamp the pole at the height you want to set the pole at...I can't see that ring in your pics ..:D

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

:DI see you go by "10000lakes"....are you around the Twin Cities???
Are you trying to retain the original base instead of using a new one???
If your base is like what I described above..and you want to keep the old base...and you want to use a newer stern light pole...you will have to do some changes...the newer style light poles have a screw in the pole near the base to keep the pole rotated/lined up correctly so the electrical connection in the newer base will plug into the pole...you will probably need to remove the screw to get the pole into your old base...next...the plastic electrical fitting on the end of the pole is held in by a dimple on the aluminum pole
...drill out the dimple..try not to drill into the plastic too much..if at all ..then pull out the plastic fitting
hopefully there is some slack in the wiring to allow for this...discard the plastic fitting and splice your navigation wires to the wires coming out of the pole ..but first insert the pole into your original base...
and check the height of the pole after shoving the pole all the way down into the base...is it too high for your liking?.. might have to shorten it a little...

On my boat I went to a more modern base with newer light poles...I saved the old light pole
with the "Jetson" spacecraft style light...I'm converting the old pole to fit the newer base..:D

10000lakes

Cadet

Thanks for all the great info!! I am in southern MN(south of Mankato) originally from TC though. Small world. I do have the ring to clamp the pole at a certain height. I found a website that had a new pole that said it was made for older boats. It has the wires coming out the end. If the diameter is right-it may work. It would be kind of cool to find an actual old pole to use. Now I have a wiring question, but I will start a new thread.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

ebay might be worth a look too.