Quick connect from pontoon battery to electric lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdy2go

Cadet
I just got a good deal on an almost new pontoon and lift with DC actuator. The lift is powered from the pontoon battery, by means of a 3' cable on the lift end and a longer cable on the pontoon end. Both cables are terminated in half shell connectors which happen to be very tough to disconnect. When connected, they form a rectangular box no more than 2X3X0.5, and I find very hard to wiggle the two parts to break it apart. My hands no longer have the strength they used to.

What would be a good solution for an easier quick disconnect, that can take the amps of the DC motor on the lift. I am guessing the cable gauge is 8.

rdy2go

Cadet
Re: Quick connect from pontoon battery to electric lift

I have been looking at the installed connectors in detail, with reading glasses and magnifying glass. They are Anderson SB50, which on internet search I found are rated 50A. I noticed that the have two pass-thru holes on each half shell, probably designed to secure them to equipment and which I could use to screw them to two handles. I have also thought that if I could heat shrink over each end a s6" piece of hose, it may give enough to hold on to them to pull them apart. Regular shrink tubing will be too flimsy, but I think clear vinyl tube may shrink some, so its worth a try.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

With one end fastened down to something solid,you can use both hands on the other end. Maybe a little grease would help them come apart easier?

rdy2go

Cadet

I am going to try electrical contact grease to see how it goes. I am guessing they carry it in tube form at the auto part stores.

SPembleton

Recruit
I am an absolute novice at this, but i have a couple of questions. which way do you want the power to go? do you want the electric lift battery to charge the pontoon battery, or the other way around.
Or do yo you not have a battery on the lift side?
The othe queation is thatni thought that when you had 2 batteries connected in parallel to a charging source, the sensor on the charger stopped when either of the 2 batteries became fully charged. is that true?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, or if i just dont understand something.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I am an absolute novice at this, but i have a couple of questions. which way do you want the power to go? do you want the electric lift battery to charge the pontoon battery, or the other way around.
Or do yo you not have a battery on the lift side?
The othe queation is thatni thought that when you had 2 batteries connected in parallel to a charging source, the sensor on the charger stopped when either of the 2 batteries became fully charged. is that true?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, or if i just dont understand something.

The questions were asked more than 5 years ago.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.