Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fish finders: fish id or arc

i just got a new fish finder mounted on my boat it is a lowrance 4x pro

I have had several people tell me to turn the fish id off and just read the arcs. Why is that?

love to hear your opinions

Re: fish finders: fish id or arc

That is how how I use mine. I just like to see the raw uneditted data so I can make my own determinations. I believe the fish ID cuts out some of the data that can be useful.

Comment

I use both. I agree that some data may be lost using fish ID. When I am targeting fish using techniques such as bottom jigging walleye I use the raw data (arches). When I'm trolling I use the fish ID feature as I am not trying to so directly target fish, just looking for depth and if anything is there at all. I can just glance at the display once in a while and make sure I'm at the right depth and location. I like the feature that displays the depth of the fish in little numbers alongside the fish picture also.

Comment

Fish ID is a useless feature to give inexperience people someone to look at while they’re boating.

Fish ID doesn't know the difference between a fish and a stick if the stick walked up and hit it in the head. Actually, more a hindrance than help since they typically don't recognize or filter out the little details that can make a difference.

Between the sensitivity of my unit and my experience with using it, I can tell you what species of fish the unit is marking. If you’re lucky enough to have a good unit, you’ll find that each species of fish gives off a distinctive return. Some by their shape, others by the colors in the return.

FWIW: Ever notice how out of scale the arches are?

Comment

Fish ID is pretty much useless as fas as I am concerned. I never turn it on.
          1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
          Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
          Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
          "Common sense is not very common"
          "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

The reason you turn it off is because it will mark things that are not fish. The arches rairly lie and you can tell a lot about the fish by the way an arch is formed. I can tell the difference between a trout and a Tui Chub just by the way the arch forms and how the fish stack up in the water column.

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
              FWIW: Ever notice how out of scale the arches are?
              So what is the reason for that? I always figured it was due to a very wide cone angle picking up a fish that was far away and as the boat passed over it it would be closer(top of the arc). I would think that the deeper the fish, the more variation in the arc there would be.
              1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
              Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
              Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
              "Common sense is not very common"
              "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

The arch can be disproportionate to the actual fish size because either the boat or the fish is moving. Multiple pings of over a moving object will make it appear larger.

Comment

Also, the partial arcs on the screen are from fish either swimming into or out of the sonar as you pass over them. They are right at the very edge of it as they get "read" for the lack of a better term.

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb58 View Post
                    So what is the reason for that? I always figured it was due to a very wide cone angle picking up a fish that was far away and as the boat passed over it it would be closer(top of the arc). I would think that the deeper the fish, the more variation in the arc there would be.
                    The arch is the result of the fishe’s higher density skeletal structure. How is it possible for the arch to extend outside the body of the fish?

See post #12
                    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=474468

The arches you see on the screen of the more popular FF is indeed a software driven "feature". The arching phenomenon does exist, but the size is comparison to the outline of the fish is very small. You would not be able to see them without enhancement. It takes a very large fish, high up in the water column, for the arch to be large enough to be seen without zooming in on the object.

Comment

so for a basic unit with a small screen and gray scale would fish id be better

Comment

It really doesn't matter iether way. Dingbat and some of the others are right on with this. A "fishfinder" is only called that because it misleads people into thinking their going to "find" fish. Although some of those "blips" you see on your screen may actually be fish, this is not the intended purpose of this type of equipment. Keep in mind, this is not a rifle with a scope on it; your not going to spot a fish on your screen and drop a jig right on his head. Fishfinder is just a cool name for them, I prefer to call it a sonar because it refers to the actuall intended purpose of them. They are there to help you know these things: how deep it is, bottom structure, transition zones, thermal clines, water temp, ect...knowing these things and the habbits of the fish you are after will help you "find" the fish, not those cool little blips on your screen
                        My mind is on the river 24/7. Too bad my body has to go to work.

Comment

Originally posted by fishndirk View Post
                          It really doesn't matter iether way. Dingbat and some of the others are right on with this. A "fishfinder" is only called that because it misleads people into thinking their going to "find" fish. Although some of those "blips" you see on your screen may actually be fish, this is not the intended purpose of this type of equipment. Keep in mind, this is not a rifle with a scope on it; your not going to spot a fish on your screen and drop a jig right on his head. Fishfinder is just a cool name for them, I prefer to call it a sonar because it refers to the actuall intended purpose of them. They are there to help you know these things: how deep it is, bottom structure, transition zones, thermal clines, water temp, ect...knowing these things and the habbits of the fish you are after will help you "find" the fish, not those cool little blips on your screen
                          That makes perfect sense and i should have thought of it sooner. Of course you cant use a fish finder to find fish only the cover that they would be in.

Thanks for the insight

Comment

That's exactly right, you got it. Fish move, the bottom of the river doesn't.
                            My mind is on the river 24/7. Too bad my body has to go to work.

Comment

I got a harbor freight fish finder, I cant seem to figure it out,,,Should I throw it in the trash? I cant afford another one right now.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X