Alternator exciter (tan) wire question

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Should I attach the tan wire to the alternator's Bat+ terminal instead of keeping the red one attached as shown in the photos provided? The previous owner replaced the alternator and is somewhat certain that the red wire was capped off with a wire nut. I guess that would mean the tan wire would be the Bat+ terminal one. Any suggestions? Regardless, is the wire going to the Bat+ terminal lead of the alternator ALWAYS have constant juice running to it? i wouldn't want to attach BOTH the red and tan wires to the alternator's Bat+ terminal though, would I? Please see previous info from another thread I started. Thanks upfront for any input and advice!!!

I purchased an older, 1982 Renken 185 Bow-rider, boat from a neighborhood gentleman. He “inherited” it from his father-in-law. At one point, the engine was replaced with a bigger I/O motor.. a 350 GM. There is a thick tannish wire, thicker than wires that run accessories, but not quite as thick as the mains to the battery terminal & starter. The tannish wire reached and was resting, unattached to anything on the passenger side of the motor when I bought it. The eyelet for the wire is pretty big, so I am assuming it must go to the alternator because there is no other post on that side of the motor within reach, aside from the water temp sensor which has a very, very small stem and nut on it going into the block. There also is a red wire of the exact same size in regards to length, thickness, and eye-hole right next to the tannish one and both come from under the motor through a black wire harness (which makes it somewhat difficult to follow back.) I placed a tester on the tannish wire and it receives constant power from the battery even with the ignition switch on the “off” position. If I disconnect the negative ground wire that supplies the navigation lights system, this tannish wire will also lose its power feed, otherwise it gets constant juice. My question, do I want to hook up BOTH the red and tannish wires to the (Bat+) on the alternator? I am assuming (I know, never a good thing) that red is always needing power, but the previous owner says “he thinks” the tan-colored wire was hooked up to the (Bat+) post on the alternator while the red just was laying there. Please see the attached photos for reference.Thanks for any input and advice!!! :confused:

Attachments

• Tannish wire.jpg
    Tannish wire.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tannish wire2.jpg
    Tannish wire2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alternator exciter (tan) wire question

Thanks. I've been around boats all my life... fishing, trolling, water-skiing, have driven, launched, docked them, but mostly as a teenager through early 20's. I'm a cherry when it comes to ownership and maintenance. Here's what I got...1982 Renken 185 BowRider...engine-wise has "3970010GM" casting on the block which is a GM 350 small block, I/O, I don't believe this is the boat's original engine, but my neighbor (whom I purchased from) said his father-in-law had it "rebuilt." I'm almost certain this is a different engine altogether. It's got A LOT of balls for just an 18-footer. I appreciate your feedback, Bubba. Here's pics of the boat.

Attachments

• boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't follow...Little help please. Where do I navigate to for this? (See the Adults Only sticky for links to your diagram.) Thanks!

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a Merc...boat did not come with manual..where might I find a schematic diagram online? Thank you!