two switches for 12 volt anchor winch?

donelwell

Cadet
Just got back into fishing, after 2 back surgeries, and 2 knee replacements, and was wondering if anyone has info on how to install a switch to raise and lower the anchor from the console? Yes it does have a switch on the winch itself, but is too hard for me to get to it, when fishing by myself. I have tried to get help from BP and no response yet. Surely some one can figure out how to add another switch. Is it possible. The switch at the winch has 6 wires. thanks in advance.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: two switches for 12 volt anchor winch?

I would imagine if you just wired the switch in a parallel-configuration it would work just fine. The windlass doesn't care/know which switch is being used. If you wired them in series, you'd be running the switches "through" each other, which wouldn't solve your problem.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome aboard.

You made my day :) I just had the L knee done and the R is scheduled for July .......... I wanto to go fishing and my wife does not even want me to remove the boat from storage yet :(

You really want momentary switches only. That way it will be necessary for you to have your hand on it to work so you do not run out the line or snap the line.

I will move this to the electrical section and someone will figure out a diagram for you.

You might want to include what you have installed now. Include a diagram and/or photo ......what do your 6 wires do now?

Good luck with your replacement parts!! ;)

1986bassbuggy$@

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you just need to branch off of the existing wires and you will need a four pole switch it will share a ground in the middle of the switch and top and bottom will be the positive or "hot" lead to comeplete the circuit for the up and down all it should do is just reverse the polarity of the electric motor.

donelwell

Cadet

Welcome aboard.

You made my day :) I just had the L knee done and the R is scheduled for July .......... I wanto to go fishing and my wife does not even want me to remove the boat from storage yet :(

You really want momentary switches only. That way it will be necessary for you to have your hand on it to work so you do not run out the line or snap the line.

I will move this to the electrical section and someone will figure out a diagram for you.

You might want to include what you have installed now. Include a diagram and/or photo ......what do your 6 wires do now?

Good luck with your replacement parts!! ;)

Thanks for reply, good luck with your other knee. I know I was glad that I only had 2 knees to be replaced. When my last knee (left) when I woke up from surgery my back was broken at L5-S1. What the Heck???? Didnt go for back problems, so I wish you good luck.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome. I don't know about electric anchors, but I do know wiring. If you have a make and model number of what you have, I can look it up and see what you are working with. How are you with electrical work? Some splicing may be required.

donelwell

Cadet

Thanks everybody for the quick replies. I went out and studied the mess, went to Lowes and got a 6 prong switch and with the help of a volt/ohm meter and some splices, I got it to work. The only thing is the switch is either up or down or off, and I have to be careful not to bump switch accidently. It has sure helped my back and legs. Thanks Again.
Don

donelwell

Cadet

I found out that Trac Anchor Winc has the wiring harness and everything for the second anchor switch. It will save me a bunch of time and trying to figure out how to run the wiring. This will for sure, help me with my back and legs problem.