• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Wiring bow and stern light to 3 position switch

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring bow and stern light to 3 position switch

Hello, I am wondering if somebody can give me instructions on how to do this and run to the battery. I am planning on using an in line fuse, but am very inexperienced in wiring diagrams. I looked at a few on here and it is still a foreign language to me. This is the switch I bought and if you can show me what to connect to what I would appreciate it. Thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	da272d1856ee8a042b87f30445750539.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	133775

Re: Wiring bow and stern light to 3 position switch

Lines on a diagram are wires. Pick a starting point -- any point. Attach a wire at one end and run it to the other end. When you've attached all wires you are done. No diagarm with that switch? Then you need to determne which terminal is the +12 volt INPUT. That terminal comes from the fuse and the other end of the fuse goes to +12 volts wherever you find it. Then one of the other terminals goes to the bow light and the other to the stern light. Ground wires from both lights DO NOT go the switch. They go to ground -- again wherever you find it. Ultimately ground is the NEGATIVE terminal on the battery. One position of the switch should light ONLY the stern light (ANCHOR). The other position should light both lights (NAVIGATE). In should turn everything off.

Comment

One of the screws should be marked with a "+". This would be the 12v+ power into the switch. For arguments sake, let's say it is the center terminal/screw. Run a fused wire from a 12v+ source to this screw. When pulling the switch out to the first position, this will send power to one of the side terminals (you'll have to use a test light or multimeter to see which screw). This would go to your anchor light 12v+. You can always touch the wire from the light to the screw to see which one lights up. The second position supplies power to both terminals and the bow lights would be wired to the other terminal. The 12v- (ground) wire goes directly to the lights themselves.
      2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

Be careful what 3 position switch you have. There are two kinds.
        Off/circuit 1/circuit 2
        The other is
        Off/circuit 1/ circuit 1&2. This is the one you need for nav lights.
        Circuit 1 would be the anchor light, circuit 2 would be the red/green nav light.

In the first example, you could turn on either the anchor or nav light, but not both.
        Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
        That is what the forums are for.
        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

+1^^ But you can run a jumper wire for the first example and make it work. You just need to add a diode as the jumper wire. From circuit 1 to circuit 2.

Comment

so when running the ground, will I run one wire from each light to the - terminal? Also, for the 12 volt wire will I run that from the battery or from the hot wire on the ignition switch harness?

Comment

Im not an expert, but, I dont think any neg wires go to the switch, you are switching the pos (hot wires). The neg wires from each light would run to the neg buss, on the fuse panel, and your pos should be coming from the fused side the the panel, then switch, then lights.
              1987 16Ft F/S Yar-Craft
              1987, 90HP Johnson/ (3) 1971-1972, 7.5HP Merc/ 1991, 4HP Mariner/1985, 2.2HP Merc (new never started)

Comment

Originally posted by etracer68 View Post
                Im not an expert, but, I dont think any neg wires go to the switch, you are switching the pos (hot wires). The neg wires from each light would run to the neg buss, on the fuse panel, and your pos should be coming from the fused side the the panel, then switch, then lights.
                +1

Only time there is a negative wire is when the switch is illuminated.

There is a thread with a wiring diagram, I'll see if I can find it.

[edit] D'oh - It's the sticky right up top - "generic boat wiring diagram by Silvertip PLUS navigation Switch"
                Boat 1: 1993 Lowe 185 Pontoon w/ 1993 Evinrude 50HP 2-stroke & a Volvo Penta QL 3 x 12.5 x 13 prop
                Boat 2: 1986 Lowe 10' "Littlejon" w/ 1982 Suzuki DT2 (needed new condenser) & a 3 x 188 x 115 prop
                Motor 3: 1951 Western Auto 6HP "Wizard" (made by Kiekhaefe) - Currently not running, maybe someday.
                My first foray into boating, all acquired June 2009 (so yeah, I'm still learning).

Comment

From the sticky at the top of the forum.

Originally posted by Silvertip View Post
                  A three pole switch (On-Off-On) cannot be wired correctly unless a diode is incorporated into it. Nav/Anchor lights must be operated as follows: Under way both the bow and stern lights must be on. When anchored ONLY the stern light should be on. You cannot wire the switch correctly unless the switch includes the previously mentioned diode or unless a six terminal switch is used.

Switch with three terminals:
                  Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                  That is what the forums are for.
                  Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Working...
                  X