cannot separate old windlass to replace it!

cptourtown

Cadet
:mad: I have tried this for over two hours. I have an anchor craft lewmar windlass that is very old and I am simply going to replace it. Never has worked right even after replacing the solenoid. Unscrewed the for bolts underneath and they won't come out or fully unscrew due to the length of them hitting the body of the motor. I tried to pry it from the top to give extra play and this damn thing won't budge. I would saw the damn thing off at this point if I could. All I can figure is the main shaft is what is keeping it together? Any pointers? I am hoping there is a stupid trick I am simply missing. Looks straight forward so I don't get it. Any help is appreciated greatly. :confused:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: cannot separate old windlass to replace it!

:mad: I have tried this for over two hours. I have an anchor craft lewmar windlass that is very old and I am simply going to replace it. Never has worked right even after replacing the solenoid. Unscrewed the for bolts underneath and they won't come out or fully unscrew due to the length of them hitting the body of the motor. I tried to pry it from the top to give extra play and this damn thing won't budge. I would saw the damn thing off at this point if I could. All I can figure is the main shaft is what is keeping it together? Any pointers? I am hoping there is a stupid trick I am simply missing. Looks straight forward so I don't get it. Any help is appreciated greatly. :confused:

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... got any Pictures,..??

cptourtown

Cadet

well, got the bolts out. Seems the original anchor lift windlass it stuck to the motor by the shaft. I don't see any pins or spot for pins and there aren't any on the new barracuda replacement. I did manage to break the handle from my hammer while trying to pry these these apart though. That is a first for me :) Any pointers for separating those? I will take some pictures.

cptourtown

Cadet

I tried with my crowbar to separate these from the middle. No luck. Tried hitting with another hammer the shaft as well from the bottom and nothing. This is the original and maybe it is corroded tight?

IMG_4170.jpgIMG_4171.jpgIMG_4172.jpgIMG_4173.jpgIMG_4174.jpg

cptourtown

Cadet

Still no luck. Picked up some spray like WD40 to hopefully help loosen it but this isn't moving. Any pointers are appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Sawsall....