twin engine/two battery system

JiMindy

Cadet
First time on this forum posting a question...really enjoy all the advice I have recieved just by reading but haven't seen this one yet. I have twin 90 merc outboards and have a two battery system with two Perko battery switches. Could someone show how this system is supposed to be connected correctly and do I have to worry about two alternators throwing out charge? too much? Also, the batteries are located aft, under the fuel/water seperators. I would like to move them under the center console for better water protection/less gas on them when i need to change the filters. This is about an increase of 8 feet. What gauge wire (#6?) would I use and should I tie it together with a buss? thanks again for all the cululative knowledge and help you give. We all appreciate it.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: twin engine/two battery system

For only 8 feet you can stay with the current wire size. Bigger is better but not necessary. As long as both motors are not connected to the same battery at any time while running there is no problem. Some people have burned out stators and some haven't but I would never connect the charging systems together. Are the perko switches OFF/ BAT 1/ BAT 2/ BOTH ? Or just ON / OFF ?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

There are lots of ways they might have done the wiring. I have two engines and the same switches. I have motor one to batt one and motor two to batt two. I always use the same position on the switch, or OFF. Only ever change that in an emergency to get a motor started. And I never ever put the switches (either one) in both with both engines running. I'm gonna try and find the wiring diagram I used.

JiMindy

Cadet

I would really appreciate a wiring diagram when you have time. Unfortunately, the Perkos were switched to "both" when running. Hope no damage done. I'm working on her tomorrow re: kill switch to port motor shorted out. Gotta find out why.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

People have done that with no problems and people have blown alternators (stators). I am not smart enough to know the reasons why.:confused:

JiMindy

Cadet

Wow! Thanks for the help. I think I need to add the "tie" switch and pray my stators are ok. Thanks