Pls recommend good app for iPad - lake chart

xdoor

Cadet
I'm a new boater, hit something and broke the propeller fist time on the lake, my deepth finder is not working very well. Anybody can recommend a good app and lake chart for iPad (my has a gps unit)

Thanks

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Pls recommend good app for iPad - lake chart

I use and love the Navionics app !!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Navionics is a good app, but it can't tell you the depth of the lake. Besides, the iPad battery dies quickly when using it in the constant use mode that a GPS app would require. Why not invest in a decent GPS and a depth gauge?

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can power the ipad from the 12V accessory outlet and it is hard to find a spot to mount a real depthfinder on a skiboat otherwise that is a great idea :)

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice

I've read good things about iNavx. If you are happy with the NOAA charts (which I have been) you can't beat the price. iNavx allows the use of other charts but the purchase price for the charts is high. I'm actually using a free app for my Android phone that uses the NOAA charts. It works great for letting me know where I am relative to obstacles and shallow waters.

http://www.inavx.com/

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

You can power the ipad from the 12V accessory outlet and it is hard to find a spot to mount a real depthfinder on a skiboat otherwise that is a great idea :)

How do you know it's a ski boat?!? :confused:

Not trying to be a jerk...just wondering...

superbenk

Commander

Navionics & inavx are expensive! I was really hoping the Navionics app would work on my iPad since I bought it for my iPhone, but you need to buy the HD version for the iPad which is $50+. Guess I'll just keep using the iPhone w/ Navionics for simple charting & a laptop with the NOAA chart viewer at home for trip planning.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Navionics & inavx are expensive! I was really hoping the Navionics app would work on my iPad since I bought it for my iPhone, but you need to buy the HD version for the iPad which is $50+. Guess I'll just keep using the iPhone w/ Navionics for simple charting & a laptop with the NOAA chart viewer at home for trip planning.

Let me see... Propeller cost is ??? each time or Navionics at $50 one time? The biggest problem with I-Phone/I-Pod is that the GPS is not accurate enough for what you need. The second biggest issue (at least on my i-phone) is that the maps are not as accurate as needed. Unfortunately, you will need to learn the lakes at a slow safe speed or be prepared to buy several props. Lest you think I am pointing a finger at you, I damaged more than one prop learning my near-by river the hard way.

TerryMSU

superbenk

Commander

Let me see... Propeller cost is ??? each time or Navionics at $50 one time? The biggest problem with I-Phone/I-Pod is that the GPS is not accurate enough for what you need. The second biggest issue (at least on my i-phone) is that the maps are not as accurate as needed. Unfortunately, you will need to learn the lakes at a slow safe speed or be prepared to buy several props. Lest you think I am pointing a finger at you, I damaged more than one prop learning my near-by river the hard way.

TerryMSU

No question that experience is the best solution. Just stating that it's a huge jump from $10 for the iPhone version of Navionics vs. $55 for the iPad version. I'd love to use the bigger screen, but I don't love it $45 worth.

Granted these are all "cheap" alternatives to a real chart plotter, but on a 18' runabout a real chart plotter seems an awful lot like overkill especially when the bottom constantly changes & you're never going more than a few miles (or maybe a couple tens of miles) on the water.

I've also been spoiled by <$5 apps being nearly ubiquitous on the App Store so when a >$10 app comes along it seems awful expensive. Throw into that the inherent inaccuracy of the i-Device's GPS and it makes for an even more expensive "toy" plotter.

rkronald

Cadet

I am using a flytomap application, good price comparing with Jep and Navionics , named all in one, nice details on contours and spot soundings, you can see your lake on this free viewer :
viewer.flytomap.com.
If the result is not matching your expectation I suggest to call navionics and get more info about their app in such place before to buy the ipad app due to the price 50 bucks!.

superbenk

Commander

I am using a flytomap application, good price comparing with Jep and Navionics , named all in one, nice details on contours and spot soundings, you can see your lake on this free viewer :
viewer.flytomap.com.
If the result is not matching your expectation I suggest to call navionics and get more info about their app in such place before to buy the ipad app due to the price 50 bucks!.

I have FlyToMap installed, but haven't used it on the iPad. I'll have to check that out. Didn't know about the http://viewer.flytomap.com site. Neat!

rkronald

Cadet

I have FlyToMap installed, but haven't used it on the iPad. I'll have to check that out. Didn't know about the http://viewer.flytomap.com site. Neat!

yes! Not easy to find the map on flytomap all in one , this app has been surely done from techs! :) but it is impressive the number of charts available for free.

jpillow66

Recruit

Which Lakes?

I tried several Lake maps for fishing with my iPad and depends on where you want to go.
Navionics has the largest coverage, I think all USA most important lakes, but most of the times the detail is quite poor :facepalm:.

I tried other apps, but I think the best details is for the individual lakes sold by Flytomap. Unfortunately they have only few tens, even if the most famous in US. Nice thing is, I asked to have my own lake (Lake Minnetonka in MN) and they developed and delivered it in just few days thru their Allinone product :).

Still waiting for Garmin entering this market, hopefully they will be soon.

freetom

Recruit
Navionics is great, but for me Spyglass is the best. It costs 3.99 and all updates are free. I use it as a backup navigation and like to mark my secret fishing places.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome, Tom. This topic is over two years old. Please do not reply to topics inactive for more than 90 days. Thanks.