any Clarion guys out there?

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got my new CMD7 head unit mounted. I'm looking at the wiring harness and the installation diagram and there is a 20 AWG red for power with no fuse, a 16 AWG yellow for memory with a 15A fuse and a 16 AWG black for ground. Is it normal for the power wire to be so small compared to the memory wire and ground? Also, there has to be a fuse on the power line - how do I know what amp fuse to install? There is no amp on this system - Basic hookup to 2 speakers only.

Thanks!!

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: any Clarion guys out there?

think i answered my own question. the red power runs to a switched "master power toggle" 10A fuse in the boats wiring harness. Is this ok? I'm running the yellow direct to the battery

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Yes.

Yellow direct to battery. Red to switched power if you want the deck to switch on and off with the ignition. Black to solid ground. Red wire is not typically fused because it's only used as an activation wire for the internal relay and not used for main internal amp current draw.

However, much of the time on a boat the stereo is on while the boat is off. If you'd like to be able to do this without turning your ignition on, you need to sum the yellow and red wires together. This is how most people do it.

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks mark. I knew you would pop in here. H/U is in and operational - on to the Fosgates!! I had to make an aluminum mounting plate for the H/U, turned out pretty good. I'll post a couple pics when it's done. Thanks for all your help