Adding Tach From Scratch ?

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
I have a 1986 Johnson 110 hp on my pontoon with no Tach at all- I want to add one but no clue as to type i need? I've searched online but most say things like "pulse" & "pole" & adjustable & thats greek to me :redface: I do have a pretty good working knowledge of outboards & 12V wiring so with some help i can install one WITH some help which as always is much appreciated :cool:
THANKS

BTW- The motor was removed from another boat & of course was wired for a tach & i'm fairly sure the wires are one the motor but don't know position or color - Motor was taken of another boat & VRO bypassed so theres wires that have been cut in a couple of places--

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding Tach From Scratch ?

You need any generic outboard tach that has a "6P" (six pulse) setting. Your engine has a 12 pole alternator which produces 6 pulses per revolution of the engine. That's all you need to know. The condtrol box should have a three terminal receptacle just below the key. You can buy a tach harness that connects there and to the tach. +12 volts, ground, and the tach sense wires get hooked to the tach -- along with a wire from the NAV/ANC switch to the light ("L") terminal on the tach,

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Great! I have the 3 way plug & located a Tach- I'm on a hunt for the harness & i'll be in good shape-
THANKS

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Great! I have the 3 way plug & located a Tach- I'm on a hunt for the harness & i'll be in good shape-
THANKS

Try right here on iBoats. Cabelas used to carry them, and an Evinrude dealer would have it as well. Or, "make one". Pins are available at Radio Shack.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Thanks- We have two Johnson/Evinrude dealers close to me-
Thought about making one as my setup would require a harness about 6' long, good tip on Radio Shack-