Build from Scratch: $233 for OEM Trim Sending Unit? or...suggestions?

spinfly

Cadet
Suzuki 1995 DT40, pwr t/t

I want to install a trim sending unit on my motor. It's never had one. (I've made up my mind, don't bother! :D) But I don't want to pay $233 for a "Suzuki" send. unit. I'll just go without before I pay that. Since I'm starting from scratch, if I can find a send. unit that is way cheaper (~$50), would there be any issues?

The compatibility issue is only with the send. unit mount, correct? I don't have a trim gauge yet, so it seems the actual mount would be the only critical component in the setup. How can I tell if, say, an Evinrude send. unit would work?

I'm not having much luck finding answers to this question via web research, so I thought I'd bounce this off of some of my fellow gear heads. Anybody seen this done, or done it???

Any sources of data would be greatly appreciated as well. TY!

spinfly

Cadet
Re: Build from Scratch: $233 for OEM Trim Sending Unit? or...suggestions?

I was afraid this wouldn't generate any responses. Oh well. Thank y'all for looking.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Gee whiz -- a few hours with no answer and you are disappointed? Be reasonable. Most folks have jobs. Ok -- done with that. You are misinformed about the mounting being the only difference. Differences in trim systems are numerous. 1) trim senders are resistive devices (they change resistance like a fuel sender). 2) The gauge itself must match the resistance range of the sender. 3) some senders work backwards from others. If you can make a Johnson/Evinrude sender work, then sue a Johnson/Evinrude gauge. But you are on the right track to start with. Trim senders are worthless gauges since the seat of your pants tells you when trim is properly set. If you can see the engine then the gauge is not necessary either. Even if you do determne a specif trim setting is optimum, it won't be when you load the boat with more people and/or gear. In my view this is certainly an unnecessary gauge.

spinfly

Cadet

1) Thank you for this information, ST. You seem to be an encyclopeia of marine/boating knowledge. You've answered a few of my other questions here in the past several weeks and have helped me to better understand DC electrical systems and I enjoy reading your comment to others as you help diagnose/suggest solutions to their boating woes. It is very generous of you to share what I presume is a lifetime of marine/boating/mechanical experience for a bunch of strangers anxious to grab a tidbit of information and disappear forever once their problems are fixed.

2) I concur with your observations about the necessity (or lack thereof) of the indicator function altogether.....for the primary vessel operator. However, I bought this boat w/ the partial intention of letting experienced friends/family members operate the boat w/o my presence; hence, the "seat of your pants" factor no longer immediately applies in an unfamiliar boat, and I would like for them to have the aid. I know I relied on the trim gauge when my grandpa was teaching me how to operate his boat when I was young.

To your housekeeping comment -

Ck your date/time reconciliation. I didn't think 30 hrs was rushing a polite & sincere attempt just to bring the topic to attention... Based on others' posts, I surmised it was correct edicate around here to "bump" one's post after a 24 hr period of no replies, wasn't really expecting a slap on the wrists. I realize my topic is rather unorthodox, but it's free to post, and I'm trying to save a nickel, like 90% of folks on here. Regardless, it's no secret that the odds of a response drop off durastically after 24 hours... Server's chock full of unaswered posts; just running my trap line.

If my perception of the iboats SOP is misguided, I'm open to anyone's suggestions; I certainly didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, and I'm sorry if I did. Again, thank y'all for stopping in to see if you could help/be helped here.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You didn't ruffle feathers. I'm too old for that -- mine are stuck down pretty tight or have fallen out long ago.