Redo wiring for bilge pump and float switch

birdpiper

Seaman Apprentice
I have been having problems with my bilge pump float switch the past few seasons. See attached photo of the wiring mess at the connector (well above any water in the bilge). A mechanic did some work on it several seasons ago and stated that he was dealing with some very corroded wires. I purchased a new float switch and basically want to cut all of the wires at the connector and redo. I have the wiring diagram for the boat.

Any tips/suggestions? Is there a "harness" or new connector that I can purchase to replace the existing? I have experience with basic home electrical work, but never any marine electrical work.

Attachments

• P1010191.JPG
    P1010191.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Redo wiring for bilge pump and float switch

That connector is nothing special and a replacement (male and female with the associated pins) is available at most Radio Shack stores. You really don't need a connector as shown. You can use individual male and female bullet connectors. electricity doesn't care if the wires go into a multi-pin connector or if each wire has its own individual connector.

birdpiper

Seaman Apprentice

Silvertip, Thanks for the response. I went by Radio Shack yesterday and they were not much help. I think that they are more concerned with selling cell phones and other gadgets these days. Their electrical parts (fuses, transistors, etc) section has dwindled to next to nothing. I decided to go the path of individual bullet connectors instead. I basically demoed the bilge pump and switch wiring last night. I cut out the connector and twisted the wires together to test. Still nothing from the switch. I removed the switch and found that the wires were very corroded (couldn’t even strip off the insulation).

My plan now is to replace the switch and the pump. Even though the pump is working from the counsel switch. I figure as long as I am down there ripping everything apart, why not spend another $35.

Are there heat-sink bullet connectors that can connect two wires into one?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Silvertip, Thanks for the response. I went by Radio Shack yesterday and they were not much help. I think that they are more concerned with selling cell phones and other gadgets these days. Their electrical parts (fuses, transistors, etc) section has dwindled to next to nothing. I decided to go the path of individual bullet connectors instead. I basically demoed the bilge pump and switch wiring last night. I cut out the connector and twisted the wires together to test. Still nothing from the switch. I removed the switch and found that the wires were very corroded (couldn’t even strip off the insulation).

My plan now is to replace the switch and the pump. Even though the pump is working from the counsel switch. I figure as long as I am down there ripping everything apart, why not spend another $35.

Are there heat-sink bullet connectors that can connect two wires into one?

I had a similar issue with bad wires. I soldered them together and then covered the connection with a long piece of heat shrink and then covered the whole mess with liquid electrical tape. That sucker will never leak and corode wires (I hope).

TerryMSU

birdpiper

Seaman Apprentice

The wires from the connector down to the pump and switch were in bad shape, very corroded. Thus they are getting replaced with the new pump and switch. The wires from the connector back to the console were “ok”, but covered with black oxidation.

Any advice on removing the oxidation? Understand that the best thing to do is replace the wire, but I don’t want to make this a big project. I basically want to remove some of the oxidation, solder and cover as Terry outlined above

I have some seen some other posts regarding removing the oxidation, but there seems to be a broad difference of opinion.