Installing Humminbird

ameee

Cadet
Just purchased a new Stratos XLE boat and want to install a Humminbird next to the console.

How do I route the Transducer, Power and GPS wires from the transom to the console to minimize electrical interference?

Thanks
George

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Installing Humminbird

Even though they say it's a problem I've never had a problem with interference just running the wires almost anywhere. The transducer cable is shielded anyway. Just keep the power off of the engine power wires. Hook it to the "house" wiring not the ignition wiring. Or, best case run a new 12v wire all the way to the battery, fused of course.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Even though they say it's a problem I've never had a problem with interference just running the wires almost anywhere. The transducer cable is shielded anyway. Just keep the power off of the engine power wires. Hook it to the "house" wiring not the ignition wiring. Or, best case run a new 12v wire all the way to the battery, fused of course.

Just because you never had a problem before doesn't mean that there is not a problem. The newer finders are much more picky. Is this going on the trolling motor? Then you need to be very careful in routing the wires, otherwise, just try to keep the wires as far away from any other wires (especially TM motor wires) as possible. I put mine on the transom and had no issues. Getting the right location is more important difficult than getting the wiring right. Do not run the FF on the same battery as the TM. Hummingbird has a couple of very good people who hang out on other web sites. Search for "HBirdDeborahCRC" on google.

(Mods, is there any way to get some of the HB people to occasionally check in on this forum? I hate to continually PM people to look at a possible competitor for information that they might as well get here on i-boats. I know from experience that I-boats is very competetive on HB and related stuff.)

TerryMSU

ameee

Cadet

My intentions are to run the Humminbird power wires back to the cranking battery, my past experience is that this has the least amount of interference. My issue is to figure out how to run the wires from the transom to the console. Do not know how to get there.

Thanks
George

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If the boat is wired properly and the proper lines filters are in place, it doesn’t matter where the power comes from or where you route the cables.

Every cable running from the back to the front of my boat is run inside a 4" diameter rigging tube. This includes 2- #10 gauge power cables, a NMEA 2000 backbone cable, all the instrument panel cables, i.e. volt, tachometer, etc, multiple "switched" power cables a 1kW transducer cable and a standalone digital speed sensor.

I’m running an ACR setup so not only is everything run next to each other, they’re all connected to the same source of power. Not a single power related power on the boat.

HB_DeborahCRC

Recruit

Just purchased a new Stratos XLE boat and want to install a Humminbird next to the console.

How do I route the Transducer, Power and GPS wires from the transom to the console to minimize electrical interference?

Thanks
George

I would recommend that you run the power lead directly to your crank battery using a 1 or 3 amp blade fuse inline on the positive side of the power cable to the battery.

When routing the transducer cable, if there is another fish/depth finder on the boat you would want to make sure that if they do run off the same frequency that you do not run the transducer cables along side of one another.

What type of unit are you wanting to install on your boat?

ameee

Cadet

HB_DeborahCRC

I am moving my 1197 from my little boat to the bow for the trolling motor and waiting for an 1198 to be delivered with 2 ram mounts. There are 3 visible tubes from the bow one has the trolling motor wires running through it, I will snake another one to run the power line to the stern.

My concern is how to route the lines Transducer, GPS and Power from the stern to the console. I am sure I will figure it out, but if someone has the knowledge they could save me time and maybe some grief, I would hope not to have to redo the routing if I end up with a lot of noise.

It should be pretty basic but without diagrams you do not know the routing of all of the wiring, so then it becomes a trial and error game until you get it right. I am on several Humminbird forums and lots of folks have had noise issues and sometimes it takes a lot of effort to fit it. I ended up putting a very large choke on my trolling motor even though the HB unit was wired directly to the cranking battery.

Thanks
George