raymarine autohelm sportpilot+ not working correctly

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
I have a sportpilot+ that works fine with out GPS info. I have it hooked up to my Humminbird 595c GPS/Fishfinder. When I put the autopilot into NAV it doesn't seem to get the NEMA signal. (I'm 90% sure I have it wired correctly according to both manuals) The symtoms are; I point the boat at the course toward my next waypoint and push the NAV button, the NAV light turns green for a few seconds and then it beeps a couple of times and the light goes out. This function worked fine on my last boat it was on. Different GPS though, I had a lowrance LMS350 on that one, went with the boat when sold.

Can anyone tell me how I can determine if the sportpilot is not getting it (the NMEA sentence) or the humminbird is not sending it? Can I measure/check the NMEA output without an expensive piece of equipment. All I have is a couple of multimeters, analog and digital.

I can't afford the $500+ raymarine wants to check out the autopilot and then tell me it's working fine. Nor can I afford a new GPS. Nor do I know which one to do.

Thanks