1986 Bass Tracker wiring problem

Shooter878

Cadet
Got this bass boat from a relative a few years ago and I have this content problem with the wires in the boat rotting off at the terminals. Always replacing them or go out fishing and a light or something doesn't work from a "green" connection . Anyone with a cure or is there a special wire or connectors I should be using, also it doesn't seem to happen on the engine, when I got the boat he had all kinds of wire rugged for radio's, speakers., cut and spliced all over, fuse box totally corroded, replaced it with military watertight fuse holders. The boat isn't used in salt water. Going to put it in this week and have to fix a bunch o terminals again.:confused:

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1986 Bass Tracker wiring problem

I go to the trouble of using solder terminals and adhesive lined heat shrink. That way no water can get under the wiring insulation. A trick I just learned is to take a heat shrink crimp connector. Carefully cut away the insulation at the ring end of the crimp barrel, then with the terminal pointing straight up and on a wire, heat it with either a micro-torch or a soldering gun and flow a little solder into the crimp barrel. The insulation will tend to flow right over your solder as it cools. Shrink the sleeve, and it's good as gold.

Marine wiring should be fine strand and tin plated. Early trackers used cheap automotive wire. It's OK as long as the insulation is in good shape.