Removing an old Clarion Remote M101RC- HELP

wetmagic

Recruit
Has anyone had to pull this out yet? I just bought a new Clarion so I can play my Ipod through it directly without the FM transmitter method, and now of course 13 years later the hard wire remotes are incompatible. I have two remotes, one by the dash and one stern. I looked at the dash one and it seems to be just superglued in there, I didnt see any screws other than for the wiring. How do you get it out?

Also, from the radio there is the remote DIN cable, but there are two other wires connected to the back of the remote. Anyone know what those are or what I do with them when I replace with new MW2 remote?

Also, I think the pulling and reinstall of the remote cables is going to be a b*ch, as both cables route back to stern and up to radio through Gunwales, anyone else do this yet?

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removing an old Clarion Remote M101RC- HELP

The current remote should have a mounting bracket that's holding it in by 2 screws on the underside of the dash. You'll need to get under there and check.

I'm trying to find your product manual which you should have and which should detail what those two wires are. I'm assuming that one is orange with a white stripe which would be your illumination dimming trigger and one is most likely blue with a white stripe which is your remote turn-on. Am I right?

To pull the wires through the gunwales, try either a coat hanger stretched out with a string tied to the end of it or the vacuum cleaner method with the string. Use a shop vac and stick it down in the access panel. Toss a string down towards it as far as you can and try and suck it up with the shop vac... then once the string is through, tie the wires to the other end and pull through.

wetmagic

Recruit

Thanks Mark, I will be working on it today, so I will check. Gonna bring my digital cam and take pics so I can see what I am working with. SO far have just put a mirror back there to see. BTW, a friend lent me an electrical snake for the Gunwale pulling, its kindof like the snake you use to clean out your house pipes with, except different. Gonna try that. I will let you know what/how everything goes, so others can learn too.

wetmagic

Recruit

Two other wires, connected, not the colors you mention, but spliced into dashboard instruments, one is ground, the other is illum. I just taped those off since now not needed, but something else may, so good to have an available splice now. The remote itself was glued in by Baja at manufacture. I had to practically destroy the old remote to get it out, too bad because could have sold on ebay, but oh well. Also, cannot pull the old cables because they are bundled together with all the other wires, so just cut it to remove clutter. Routing new cables through the gunwale using a snake and string to pre-route. Lots of fun and removing things just to get a look inside the gunwales!, and laying upside down in the engine compartment!

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

That ground wire sure as heck will be used! The orange illumination.. no.

Nice work!