Audio Circuit breaker question

bdoman2

Cadet

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Audio Circuit breaker question

You are going to have minimal voltage drop across a circuit breaker. Is that your question?

What amount of current is your load going to be?

By the way, West Marine is not a very good place to buy those. Amazon, for one, has them for $39.95 no tax and no shipping.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

You are going to have minimal voltage drop across a circuit breaker. Is that your question?

What amount of current is your load going to be?

By the way, West Marine is not a very good place to buy those. Amazon, for one, has them for $39.95 no tax and no shipping.

For the first time that I've ever seen, Bruce is correct with regards to an audio system question. Go with Amazon.

bdoman2

Cadet

I have the option of using a distribution block and using a 1 gauge wire with 150 amp breaker or running two 4 gauge wires with two separate 80 amp breakers. I think I will do it with the duel for gauge wires. Either way amp to battery will be less than 3ft. Do you still like the idea of the breaker or should I stick to a fuse (or two)? I will def use amazon was just showing the product. As for the current i am not sure her is are the two amp statistics
http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/SYN4_spec.html
http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/SYN4_spec.html
Thanks for the help.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Whatever you do, don't run two parallel wires with seperate circuit breakers to a common distribution bus. Only do that if they are going to seperate loads.

bdoman2

Cadet

Not following you 100%. If I use a distribution block i will have a single breaker and a single 4 gauge wire sto the battery. From the distribution block I would have two have 4 gauge wires running to two seParate amps. In the other situation I would have two amps running separate 4 gauge wires with separate circuit breakers directly to the batteries. 75 amperes for each amp. I believe that's how it's said so I know I need to use two 80 amp breakers or fuses or one 150 amp one. My initial question is should I run with regular inline fuses or will the breakers be just as effective?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Either breakers or fuses are fine. Your preference.

Actually, thinking about it more, I would run separate 4 ga wires through 75 amp breakers/fuses to the amps.

The problem of using one 150 A breaker through a larger wire to a distribution block is that you would need separate breakers/fuses for the 4ga wires going to each amp unless you don't drop the wire size down to 4ga. You could also drop the main breaker down to 135A and you would be ok. Basically, you want the breaker to protect the smallest wire in the circuit and 4 ga should never carry more than 135A.

The reallity is that your amps are never going to draw close to 60A each.

delirious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah...i know...late reply...but... the glass fuzes fail constantly these days...without blowing...they come unsoldered.