Installing ACR, Dual Circuit switch, and Single Wire Alternator... Help?

Linecoach97

Cadet
I have a 1990 Seaswirl Topaz (Striper) with a 3.0 OMC Cobra sterndrive (Chevy 4cylinder). I've worked for years with autos but I am fairly inexperienced with boats. My alternator went bad so I have replaced the original with a 105 amp single wire (reccomended by the local boat shop). I have a dual battery system and I am installing a Blue Sea ACR and Dual circuit battery switch to facilitate the charging of both batteries. My question begins with where to run the alternator to? The manufacturer reccomends running directly to the starting battery, and while I have found several wiring diagrams, very few address one wire alternators and where to route them. Some actually show running the alternator into the battery isolator switch. I believe the battery is the best bet, but want to be sure... Also is it better to run the ACR with or without the optional Starter Isolation (SI) wire? If using the SI wire where is the best place to run the wiring? Tie in at the ignition switch, or closer to the starter to reduce the amount of wire used? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Installing ACR, Dual Circuit switch, and Single Wire Alternator... Help?

Hook the output wire from the alternator back on the starter which is basically the same thing as hooking it up to the starting battery. You may want a larger wire as the 8ga OEM wire is not good for your new 105A output.

Linecoach97

Cadet
Re: Installing ACR, Dual Circuit switch, and Single Wire Alternator... Help?

Thanks Don. Sounds like good advice. I ran 6 gauge wire from the alternator.