Inductive Volt Meter?????????????

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
My total knowledge of electrical issues will fit nicely under your fingernail. I have some wire locations that are impossible to get a standard lead to the connection to test for voltage. I know there are inductive timing lights. Is there such thing as an inductive meter:confused:

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Inductive Volt Meter?????????????

My total knowledge of electrical issues will fit nicely under your fingernail. I have some wire locations that are impossible to get a standard lead to the connection to test for voltage. I know there are inductive timing lights. Is there such thing as an inductive meter:confused:

For measuring amperage draw, yes. Voltage, not so much. Where are your wires? Got any pic's? Myself or others may be able to give you pointers on creative ways to check what you need to if we can see what your working on.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Well, the problem is that my fuel gauge has stopped working. Prior to removing the sender (it's gonna be a bear) I want to prove that it is not electrical in nature, so I started testing the circuits. I have proven good connections on the negative side at both the helm and the sender. I have proven the positive circuit at the helm but cannot prove the circuit at the sender due to the fact that I can't get a lead on the wire at the sender (it's got a thick insulation shield and, being under the sole, I don't want to remove insulation to test). Hence, I want to know if there is current in the positive wire from the sender. I feel like once I have ruled out power then I have to conclude that the sender is not working. Am I making sense?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Hence, I want to know if there is current in the positive wire from the sender.
No way you are going to be able to measure that.

Take the 2 wires off the gauge that go to the sender and measure the resistance. Depending on the level of your tank, is probably going to measure anywhere from 20 to 300 ohms or so.

You can also test your gauge by putting a potentiometer across the gauge(after removing those same wires) and vary it between those same numbers to see how it works.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The sender is very likely grounded back at the stern so all you need to do is disconnect the pink wire at the gauge (the one on the "S" terminal). You then measure resistance between the pink wire and ground. 240 ohms with an empty tank, 109 ohms at 1/2 tank and 33 ohms full tank. If the reading is within reasonable range of these values then the sender is good. If it measures open circuit or something very different than above, the wire is bad or the sender is bad.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Silvertip is correct, only one wire going back there from the gauge.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Thanks folks...with clear, concise instructions like that...I think even I can do this;)