2010 Q5i SF; New Trolling Motor

balphin23

Cadet
To All;

I have searched the online store, various threads, and still cannot find a reasonable and feasable solution on how to change my existing trolling motor mount. My wife and I have decided to change from the factory supplied Motorguide Trolling Motor to Minn Kota. After looking into the various mounts I did decide on one. So this past weekend I unscrewed one of the 4 bolts holding down the current trolling motor mount. I heard a nut drop, and now obviously the bolt is not tight like it should be. After looking all over the bow, and then discussing my situation with Bass Pro it turns out that the Tahoe Ski and Fish stuff is all mounted prior to the sandwhiching the lower and upper hulls together at the factory.

I am curious if anyone has cut an access hatch or done something similar to what I am planning. It would be nice to have some sort of hatch underneath the center bow cution which would give me access, hopefully, to the bow tie down loop, and I can reach up around to the gunner to get to the tolling plug and the nuts on the existing trolling mount.

Has anyone ever done this.

Thank you in advance for any help you may give.

supercrewser

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2010 Q5i SF; New Trolling Motor

I feel your pain , have the same issue you are having. The marina I go to gave me some toggle bolts that are stainless steel, you have to drill the hole out bigger but it supposed to work, I havent done it yet. Poor design from tahoe if you ask me.

sw6416

Banned

I feel your pain , have the same issue you are having. The marina I go to gave me some toggle bolts that are stainless steel, you have to drill the hole out bigger but it supposed to work, I havent done it yet. Poor design from tahoe if you ask me.

Poor design indeed ........ Since buying our Tahoe last year which by the way isn't a fish and ski just a regular bow rider. My wife has developed a love for fishing since we sometimes anchor and let our young girls fish. We now find ourselves wishing we had gone in another direction.

Balphin23 why did you decide to go with another trolling motor on a boat that is only 2 years old? Is it underpowered? Good luck with you both on the trolling motor issue.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On boats with no under deck access you can use "wellnuts". Minnkota sells these in a package with all the bolts and washers needed. They work well and are inexpensive (compared to other boating stuff).

supercrewser

Seaman Apprentice

Poor design indeed ........ Since buying our Tahoe last year which by the way isn't a fish and ski just a regular bow rider. My wife has developed a love for fishing since we sometimes anchor and let our young girls fish. We now find ourselves wishing we had gone in another direction.

Balphin23 why did you decide to go with another trolling motor on a boat that is only 2 years old? Is it underpowered? Good luck with you both on the trolling motor issue.
the boat is great for me and our family,I would of rather gotten a bass boat but Im sure the wife and kids would not like me much for being gone all of the time fishing when they wanted to be on the water tubing or cruising ,its good enough for what I do at this time.

supercrewser

Seaman Apprentice

the boat is great for me and our family,I would of rather gotten a bass boat but Im sure the wife and kids would not like me much for being gone all of the time fishing when they wanted to be on the water tubing or cruising ,its good enough for what I do at this time.

I was able to get a bolt up from underneath and get a nut on it. It wasnt easy but with a long bent fish hook remover I was able to get it done. If I were to change out the trolling motor I would be tempted to add front speakers by the seating area that would allow me access to the trolling motor mounts. Good luck !

balphin23

Cadet

I have not yet decided on switching it out, but when and if I do, I would like to have an option with GPS tracking. The Minn Kota has the iPilot which I believe would be a much better solution for a boat that really doesn't have an easy way of controlling the motor. It would be much better if the Co-Pilot remotes worked like a foot powered controller. That is, you could set the speed and direction with out motor spinning. Then hit a momentary switch on the remote to give power. You only have two hands for fishing, and with this Co-Pilot deal I feel I need three.

I understand that I could unbolt the existing bolts, but the nuts holding them in place are likely to fall into the bow and never to be seen again. I am concerned about them rattling around. Does anyone know if these nuts are magnetic?

pphang77

Recruit
I just bought a 2010 Tahoe Q5i SF this week and was wondering what model trolling motor came with it. The one I bought did not come with one. It has the mount on the bow area though. Any help would be appreciated..... thrust power, shaft length, etc. First boat; super excited.