LED STRIP LIGHTING (Ins and outs info)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: LED STRIP LIGHTING (Ins and outs info)

Bruce,

like the extrusion, however it looks overkill
Scott, I am going to post pics of my aluminum extrusions when I am done. I think you will see why I chose what I chose. They sit on the front face of a bench seat just below the lip of the cushion.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Last edited:

lil buggy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Those u channels look pretty good! The L channels I used were cheaper though, and I got them at the local HD, I believe they are wallpaper corners sold in long pieces for just a few bucks.

My ? on the u is, it will be harder to apply the strips and promoter if you so choose. My gut tells me the L will be a lot easier, especially when it comes to the inside corners and such.

Also on another note I used the quick clips to avoid soldering the 4wire, but ended up soldering back n forth to different sections of the runs, and some of the clips have started to fail, and will show that section a different color than the rest, which made my eye twitch, and drove me insane! So guess what I'm trying to say is if I were doing the project again I would invest in the 4wire but not on the clip, and solder right on the strip!
hope it helps

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I also am going to solder as the clips appear to be less than stellar.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Installed the first strip today. Looks nice!
IMG_20140315_140020.jpg

IMG_20140315_140047.jpg

IMG_20140315_180731.jpg

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

That's the mutts nuts right there. :clap2:

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Bruce - that looks sexy

Thalasso

Commander

Well if you want to do it right and have a good appearance then that's what it takes

fishrdan

Admiral

^^^ Totally agree, money well spent. Those aluminum extrusions hold the lights at a good angle for lighting up the boat and keep them well protected.

otto1946

Recruit

First Bruce those look awesome, well done.

Second I have a 2008 Maxum I bought new, but have let it go a little the last 2 years. I'm trying to get it back in top shape and, among other projects, want to install LED lighting on the interior as many of you have.

I'm also really interested in installing LEDs to the exterior of the boat similar to the boat they used for the London Olympics opening ceremony. Here is a picture from the ceremony:
http://i1.cdnds.net/12/30/618x428/showbiz_olympics_opening_11.jpg

I just read this whole thread and am now a little hesitant for the exterior. Should I be? I'm mostly worried about the sun being too harsh on them. Will it be a waste of money putting them on the exterior? I really think red lighting will look great with the boat already being red.

Your guys opinion is greatly appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

if your boat is kept outside in clearwater, the lights will be sun damaged in about 6 months down here.

If its garage kept, I say go for it if you want.

otto1946

Recruit

if your boat is kept outside in clearwater, the lights will be sun damaged in about 6 months down here.

If its garage kept, I say go for it if you want.

Thanks for the response, sorry for my delayed response.

I'm moving in the middle of April, but i'll still be down hear near Clearwater (Largo). I'm not sure if my boat will fit in my new garage. It wouldn't fit in the previous two garages i've had.

My boat is a 2008 Maxum 2000SR3, even though it's listed as 20 ft, with the swim platform and the trailer it looks to be about 27Ft. It has a break away tongue which makes it look to be within 6 inches or so of fitting in the garage. I really hope so.

If it doesn't fit i guess I'll just stick to LED's on the interior. If it fits, Woo hoo!:rockon:

ETA: also thanks Chriscraft for the thread, very informative, is gonna make life alot easier.....

and brighter.

Last edited:

Mchad

Recruit
Hope this thread isn't too dead... I thought I'd post my experience.

I have been experimenting with strip lights for my boat. I have no overhead lighting whatsoever (25' Crownline), so I decided to MacGyver something. I ordered a 1/4" x 1" x70" piece of king starboard to which I mounted a strip of RGB 5050's from superbrightleds.com using both the adhesive and 1/2" plastic romex staples. On the back of the starboard, I installed 6 snaps. To the underside of my bimini top, where the aft most tube runs, I installed the corresponding snaps. Unfortunately, the only solution for the power cable was to run down one of the static tubes and through a grommet. Then up to the console where the convenient accessory switch powers it. A RF remote gives full controls, and the light output is fantastic. I only did this this weekend, so I haven't had the chance to put it to the real test yet. However my initial reaction is the colored lighting is great, but the white output leaves a little to be desired. Looks like the RGB rendered white is a bit too blue for comfort. I am playing with the idea of replacing the strip with a RGB+WW strip. These strips are alternating RGB and dedicated warm white LED's. This will give me full control of any color I like, plus the option of warm white when needed. My problem with this is I just don't like any of the RGBW controllers I have seen. They all seem to require cycling through various flashing color modes to get to white, while I'd want a straight, instant to white when needed. So I was thinking about using my existing, simple yet elegant waterproof RF RGB controller, and wiring the ground (these strips are all ground activated - meaning they have a single + supply and activate each element by applying ground to the corresponding color) to a separate switch. This way I can flip on white when I want, and play with colors separately, when I want. Who knows. Laziness may prevail and I'll just deal with the cool white.

156772148.jpg

156772147.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.