Navman GPS not aquiring

lffoar

Cadet
Hi all,
Recently got a boat with an Australian Navman 5430i. When it's on the trailer in my yard I turn it on and it acquires a GPS signal within a couple of minutes. Put the boat in the water and leave it on for an hour, still "acquiring signal" Have tried motor and sounder off, moving around, same result, zilch. Turn it off, trailer the boat, go home, turn it on and bingo, signal acquired! No overhead canopy, no obvious interference.

Last edited by a moderator:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Navman GPS not aquiring

Turn it on and let it acquire a signal before you head to the water. Leave it on when you head to the water and see what it does.

lffoar

Cadet

Thanks Dingbat, blowing a gale for the next few days so can't get out but I'll try that asap and post back.

jhebert

Ensign

Perhaps there is an internal battery in the GPS receiver that has failed. A GPS receiver generally needs to know the approximate time and its approximate position in order to speed up acquisition of satellites. If your unit has lost its internal battery, it may be reverting to some sort of default position and time. This can add a considerable delay to the first satellite acquisition. Since the unit seems to have problems in the interval between travel from your home to the lake, it may be reverting to the default in that time.

Keep the unit attached to 12-Volt DC power; this should prevent it from losing its stored time, date, and approximate location.

Last edited by a moderator: