trolling motor wiring question

cowboy9from0hell

Seaman Apprentice
i just bought a minn kota edge 55lb thrust trolling motor for my boat. when i bought the boat it came with an old 91/92 motorguide 30lb thrust trolling motor. im not sure what guage wire originally cam with the boat.since i upgraded to a 55lb do i have to change the wiring from the recepticle to the battery? the boat is a 92 bast tracker pro 16. thank you for your help

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trolling motor wiring question

'You didn't tell us what gauge wire you have now and we can't see your boat, nor do we know who wired it originally. Look at the wire and it will be labeled with the gauge. How long the run of wire is from the battery to the receptacle is also a factor. Your new motor draws about 46 amps maximum so the wire needs to be capable of handling that current.

cowboy9from0hell

Seaman Apprentice

the guage wire on the minn kota edge 55lb i just put on my boat is 10 guage wire. the 30 lb motorguide tracker pro series 30lb is 12 guage same with recepticle. from recepticle to battery is less the 3 feet.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

the guage wire on the minn kota edge 55lb i just put on my boat is 10 guage wire. the 30 lb motorguide tracker pro series 30lb is 12 guage same with recepticle. from recepticle to battery is less the 3 feet.

The wiring from the battery to the receptacle needs to be the same size (#10 or larger) as the motor wire. You also need a larger circuit breaker 50 amp within six iniches of the battery positive post.

OOGA BOOGA

Cadet

well here go i just bought a new edge 70 and two new batteries . the boat has 2 red wires and 2 black wires from front plug in to the batteries in the back how should the wires be hooked up to the batteries im guessing the jumper in the plug is supposed to convert the twelve volts going to the recepticle to 24 volts at the motor ..... please someone help me i dont want to blow this thing up its the wifes boat......:eek:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

well here go i just bought a new edge 70 and two new batteries . the boat has 2 red wires and 2 black wires from front plug in to the batteries in the back how should the wires be hooked up to the batteries im guessing the jumper in the plug is supposed to convert the twelve volts going to the recepticle to 24 volts at the motor ..... please someone help me i dont want to blow this thing up its the wifes boat......:eek:

Well here ya go! You just hijacked someone elses thread. Post your own please. It is too difficult to keep multiple problems straight when two or more people present problems in the same thread.