Missing Kill Switch- 96 Stratos-115 Evinrude

DWilks

Cadet
96 Stratos, 115 Evinrude---E115GLEDR...There's no kill switch and I don't know where to place one or where to connect
it to. Could use some help please...the engine does start and run though.

Attachments

• Key Switch.jpg
    Key Switch.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Missing Kill Switch- 96 Stratos-115 Evinrude

I believe your looking at the kill switch. What you are missing is the the clip that clips around the key slot

DWilks

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, dingbat, but exactly what does the clip that I'm missing actually do. If I knew what it did, then maybe I could
wire in some kind of switch or device to do the same thing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you had the clip and the kill part worked, when you install the clip it pull up on the outer portion of the switch. When the clip is removed, the switch shorts the ignition to ground. The original owner may have lost the clip and just bypassed the wiring of the key switch. There are also several kill switches available that you can add to your dash.

http://www.iboats.com/Emergency-Boa...7425972--session_id.690555644--view_id.216623

DWilks

Cadet

Thanks Don S....I will order a switch....BUT they don't come with instructions on how to wire them. If someone will tell me what part of the ignition switch needs to be grounded(and I guess you mean to Batt (-)).

I don't have and can't find a wiring diagram for my boat but I have written down the wire colors on the switch and they are:red/blk, blk, yellow/red, red/blk, blk/yellow, and purple. Can someone tell me which wire needs to be grounded?

I don't want to guess and short out the battery and maybe burn up some wires!...anyone

NYBo

Admiral

That looks like a standard ignition switch to me - no integrated kill switch (never heard of a combined ignition and kill switch but I haven't heard of everything:redface:). Perhaps a PO replaced a combo switch with a standard one. Adding a kill switch is a good idea.

DWilks

Cadet

NYBo, that's what I'm wanting to do and willing to place a separate kill switch in the console but I Need to know what to
connect it to...any help....I listed the wire colors on the switch

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ok, just to show you what I mean, look at the picture below. With your fingers, grab the part of the switch marked by the red arrows. Pull it towards you. You will find that it pulls out of the section with the blue arrow. Should pull out about 3/16" maybe a 1/4". That is the kill switch part. OMC used them.

If you remove the switch or look at the back and take a picture of it, we may be able to show you how to test it. Then all you need is a C-clip if it works.
Even if you buy a new kill switch, they come with instructions and wiring diagrams.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Key Switch.jpg
    Key Switch.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 3

DWilks

Cadet

Here's a picture, Don S. The center part(red arrows) does pull out, but by only about 1/8 of an inch. This looks like the original
switch to me. Tomorrow, when I have some sun light, I will disconnect the wires and see if pulling of the center of the switch
either opens a pair or shorts a pair of the 6 (six) connections or lugs.....this will or should tell me if it's acting like a kill switch.
If I could be assured that the switches selling here on iboats does have directions, then I will order a replacement switch from
them......Oh, and on the switch it has: Pollak Pat. # 5237133...but no part number...Thanks
View attachment 138997

DWilks

Cadet

OK guys, today I removed the ignition switch and using my DVM to determined that if I add a separate kill switch
and connect it to the two terminals that are shorted together when in the off mode, that should kill the motor.
The two terminals are not shorted when in the start or run mode so I'm pretty sure that will work!!!
Thanks to you guys that helped!

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm about 95% sure that the black/yellow wire is shorted to ground to kill the motor. That is how my '76, and '85 OMC motors work.

DWilks

Cadet

Thanks Imuss53, that's is exactly what I came up with after disconnecting the switch and using an ohm meter to
check the shorts and opens at the three positions of the switch. Blk/Yellow goes to Batt (-) to shut down the
motor. Problem solved...Thanks everyone!!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That looks like a standard ignition switch to me - no integrated kill switch (never heard of a combined ignition and kill switch but I haven't heard of everything:redface:).

You have now ;)
0176408.jpg

pull the lanyard out and leave it wrapped around your wrist and voila!, the motor is left in the "kill" position and only you have the "key" (the lanyard).

So what happens when your crew has no means of starting the boat to come back and get you?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I never thought about getting retrieved dingbat, I guess I always assumed that it would be me who went over and I'd be swimming for it. I keep the safety lanyard clipped to the PFD the helmsman is wearing, if that person goes over the side so does the clip. I guess I need a second clip hanging on the console somewhere.