• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Missing Kill Switch- 96 Stratos-115 Evinrude

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Kill Switch- 96 Stratos-115 Evinrude

96 Stratos, 115 Evinrude---E115GLEDR...There's no kill switch and I don't know where to place one or where to connect
    it to. Could use some help please...the engine does start and run though.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DWilks; March 30th, 2012, 01:24 PM. Reason: add comment

Re: Missing Kill Switch- 96 Stratos-115 Evinrude

I believe your looking at the kill switch. What you are missing is the the clip that clips around the key slot
    Grady White 226
    200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
    Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
    Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
    ICOM M504A VHF
    Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Thanks for the reply, dingbat, but exactly what does the clip that I'm missing actually do. If I knew what it did, then maybe I could
      wire in some kind of switch or device to do the same thing.

Comment

If you had the clip and the kill part worked, when you install the clip it pull up on the outer portion of the switch. When the clip is removed, the switch shorts the ignition to ground. The original owner may have lost the clip and just bypassed the wiring of the key switch. There are also several kill switches available that you can add to your dash.

http://www.iboats.com/Emergency-Boat...view_id.216623
        Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
        That is what the forums are for.
        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Thanks Don S....I will order a switch....BUT they don't come with instructions on how to wire them. If someone will tell me what part of the ignition switch needs to be grounded(and I guess you mean to Batt (-)).

I don't have and can't find a wiring diagram for my boat but I have written down the wire colors on the switch and they are:red/blk, blk, yellow/red, red/blk, blk/yellow, and purple. Can someone tell me which wire needs to be grounded?

I don't want to guess and short out the battery and maybe burn up some wires!...anyone

Comment

That looks like a standard ignition switch to me - no integrated kill switch (never heard of a combined ignition and kill switch but I haven't heard of everything). Perhaps a PO replaced a combo switch with a standard one. Adding a kill switch is a good idea.
            Bob, Orange County NY
            '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
            Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
            Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

NYBo, that's what I'm wanting to do and willing to place a separate kill switch in the console but I Need to know what to
              connect it to...any help....I listed the wire colors on the switch

Comment

Ok, just to show you what I mean, look at the picture below. With your fingers, grab the part of the switch marked by the red arrows. Pull it towards you. You will find that it pulls out of the section with the blue arrow. Should pull out about 3/16" maybe a 1/4". That is the kill switch part. OMC used them.

If you remove the switch or look at the back and take a picture of it, we may be able to show you how to test it. Then all you need is a C-clip if it works.
                Even if you buy a new kill switch, they come with instructions and wiring diagrams.

Attached Files
                Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                That is what the forums are for.
                Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Here's a picture, Don S. The center part(red arrows) does pull out, but by only about 1/8 of an inch. This looks like the original
                  switch to me. Tomorrow, when I have some sun light, I will disconnect the wires and see if pulling of the center of the switch
                  either opens a pair or shorts a pair of the 6 (six) connections or lugs.....this will or should tell me if it's acting like a kill switch.
                  If I could be assured that the switches selling here on iboats does have directions, then I will order a replacement switch from
                  them......Oh, and on the switch it has: Pollak Pat. # 5237133...but no part number...Thanks

Comment

OK guys, today I removed the ignition switch and using my DVM to determined that if I add a separate kill switch
                    and connect it to the two terminals that are shorted together when in the off mode, that should kill the motor.
                    The two terminals are not shorted when in the start or run mode so I'm pretty sure that will work!!!
                    Thanks to you guys that helped!

Comment

I'm about 95% sure that the black/yellow wire is shorted to ground to kill the motor. That is how my '76, and '85 OMC motors work.
                      '06 Forester 19 Fish
                      '76 55 Johnson, 55EL76E
                      '83 Sea Nymph 171 CC Striper
                      '85 70 Johnson
                      '97 Dodge ram 1500 pickup
                      Fishin' and 'tooning on the Raystown Branch
                      Huntingdon County, PA
                      sigpic

My Sea Nymph 171 CC restoration, SC conversion in progress (ON HOLD UNTIL FALL, IT'S TIME TO FISH)
                      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=507464

Comment

Thanks Imuss53, that's is exactly what I came up with after disconnecting the switch and using an ohm meter to
                        check the shorts and opens at the three positions of the switch. Blk/Yellow goes to Batt (-) to shut down the
                        motor. Problem solved...Thanks everyone!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NYBo View Post
                          That looks like a standard ignition switch to me - no integrated kill switch (never heard of a combined ignition and kill switch but I haven't heard of everything).
                          You have now

Originally posted by kfa4303 View Post
                          pull the lanyard out and leave it wrapped around your wrist and voila!, the motor is left in the "kill" position and only you have the "key" (the lanyard).
                          So what happens when your crew has no means of starting the boat to come back and get you?
                          Grady White 226
                          200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                          Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                          Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                          ICOM M504A VHF
                          Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

I never thought about getting retrieved dingbat, I guess I always assumed that it would be me who went over and I'd be swimming for it. I keep the safety lanyard clipped to the PFD the helmsman is wearing, if that person goes over the side so does the clip. I guess I need a second clip hanging on the console somewhere.
                            '06 Forester 19 Fish
                            '76 55 Johnson, 55EL76E
                            '83 Sea Nymph 171 CC Striper
                            '85 70 Johnson
                            '97 Dodge ram 1500 pickup
                            Fishin' and 'tooning on the Raystown Branch
                            Huntingdon County, PA
                            sigpic

My Sea Nymph 171 CC restoration, SC conversion in progress (ON HOLD UNTIL FALL, IT'S TIME TO FISH)
                            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=507464

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
                              You have now
                              Sweet! Is that a standard kill switch clip?
                              Bob, Orange County NY
                              '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
                              Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
                              Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

Working...
                              X