• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Johnson 2400 Pedal Steering Cable

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 2400 Pedal Steering Cable

The steering cable currently on the trolling motor has rusted over the year and is no longer functional. I've looked on the cable itself, but can't find a part number. The trolling motor itself is a Johnson 2400. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement cable, or if any generic cable with a similar length would work?

Re: Johnson 2400 Pedal Steering Cable

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... That motor is older than dirt, ain't it,..??

My guess is, either ya fix it yerself, by whatever means possible,...
    Or,...
    It's Parts...
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

It's definitely an old motor. The boat was handed down to me by my dad. I figured I would have a hardtime finding a cable for it. The cable itself isn't repairable, but id hate to get a whole new motor since is runs great.

Comment

Ayuh,... Got any pictures,..??

There's no end to the Creative Engineerin' that goes on 'round here,....

Comment

Here's 1 picture I have. Click image for larger version

Name:	b49ffa07350363a38cd8c259b4fa9766.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	122973 It was my dad's Norris Craft. I want to say it's an 85. 17.5'. Has a Mariner 200 according to the title, but 150 stickers. I guess that's how he fished in a lower class? It's been in storage for a couple of years and I've had it on the water 3 times last fall before putting in away for the winter. Before I take it out again, I would like to get the trolling motor replaced/fixed, and I'm having problems with the water pump. At idle/low speeds, the temp will rise fairly quickly and requires me to turn the motor off. There isn't much water pressure at all (2psi if I recall). Once I get up to speed though it cools down just fine. I have yet to tear the lower unit apart and I'm not familiar with the parts at all, so I'm sure I'll be back here for more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by tristanlee85 View Post
            Here's 1 picture I have. Click image for larger version

Name:	b49ffa07350363a38cd8c259b4fa9766.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	122973 It was my dad's Norris Craft. I want to say it's an 85. 17.5'. Has a Mariner 200 according to the title, but 150 stickers. I guess that's how he fished in a lower class? It's been in storage for a couple of years and I've had it on the water 3 times last fall before putting in away for the winter. Before I take it out again, I would like to get the trolling motor replaced/fixed, and I'm having problems with the water pump. At idle/low speeds, the temp will rise fairly quickly and requires me to turn the motor off. There isn't much water pressure at all (2psi if I recall). Once I get up to speed though it cools down just fine. I have yet to tear the lower unit apart and I'm not familiar with the parts at all, so I'm sure I'll be back here for more questions.
            Ayuh,... Ya need to change the impeller every year, or maybe 2...
            That'll probably fix the overheatin'...

When I said post pictures,...
            I meant of the cable ya need....

You'll have to go to the Mercury / Mariner forum for more motor info...

Comment

Remove the cable from the motor and go shopping. Check the local farm stores, hardware stores, implement dealers, Toro, Husqvarna yard equipment dealers etc. You need a cable the approximate length of the old one. It is unlikely the ends will be the same so that's where the "creativity" kicks in. The next stop would be hardware stores to look for things that could be used as an adapter. If you are not mechanically inclined, then this may be a hopeless cause. But if you can operate a drive, use a hacksaw, know which end of a file or screwdriver to hold, you should be able to engineer a fix.

Comment

I think I found the cable on the Evinrude online store. I'll have to pull my cable off tonight and check that it's the same as the diagram on their site. The model according to the manual I found is a JBFL4T. Mechanical ability is not a problem. I just wouldn't mind spending the extra $$ for an original part if possible.

Comment

Working...
                X