Troubleshooting a Clarion wired/transom remote

PDubs

Seaman
I have a Clarion headunit with a Clarion wired remote located on the transom just above the swim platform. It's the circular type, not oval shaped, and is most likely greater than seven years old based off what our previous owner mentioned: no led screen, only buttons on the remote. He also mentioned it was installed but never hooked up. Looking from the bilge area, I can see three wires coming from the unit: two terminals (one clipped and the other screwed on) and one thicker black wire (I assume this is the actual relay or sender).

The issue I'm having is that it does not light up and does not control anything but I would like to get it working. The previous owner did not have any documentation on it and I've been trying to search online to see if I can find out (1) the wiring diagram and (2) how the relay attaches to the head unit or harness. Just looking for some input on where to start as the remote is sealed up and cannot be easily removed. Additionally, I have no idea how to remove the head unit as it is installed just below the glove box. Boat is 99 Baja 272.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Troubleshooting a Clarion wired/transom remote

To remove the head unit, you need special metal keys from Clarion that insert on either side to unlock the head unit from the mounting sleeve. If you can crawl under the dash and have an open view of the back of it, you can manually unlock the tabs. They are on each side of the unit. You can see where it binds when you go to slide it out. Use a small screwdriver to prop them out on either side and the unit will slide right out the front.

The remote unit sounds fried.. especially one that's on a swim platform and is 7 years old. No way. Life expectancy of stereo equipment on boats is typically around 3-4 years for quality stuff.. and that's if it hasn't been splashed on. If you know the model number, you should be able to search the Clarion website for older installation manuals that show how it mounts/removes. Does it look like any on this page? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...&field-keywords=clarion+marine+remote&x=0&y=0

PDubs

Seaman

Did some more checking on the radio and for whatever reason, I *thought* it was a Clarion head unit but it is actually a JVC that's no longer available. My guess is the previous owner who kept all documents with the boat originally had the Clarion installed but then replaced it. I don't have the ability to get behind and unlock it, so I may have to figure out another method. The remote unit looks something like the Clarion CMRC2-SB: similar shape/size, similar functions, no LCD, but different face. I can't seem to find the model number on the remote unit itself. I have searched for the product all over the place but can't seem to find it.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Pretty much all head units for the last 15 years or so mount the same way with a mounting cage that has small tabs that you bend in order to secure it and then the main unit slides in and locks. In every case, you need the specific "keys" to release the tabs on either side. If you google your head units model number, I bet you can find the original installation manual online and see what you need. A JVC dealer should have them or you may be able to order them online. If that doesn't work, then try using something flat and sturdy like a small metal paint scraper or something and run it around the outside of the mounting sleeve feeling for the tabs that are bent up to keep it in place. You may be able to bend them down enough to slide the thing out. Get creative!

There's really no way to get behind it? There has to be. Someone got it in there and wired it. There has to be an access panel or something or someway to reach behind there and pop it out.

As for the remote, you're going to have to just bite the bullet and replace it..

PDubs

Seaman

Thanks for the tips. I did find some material after searching and searching, but I think you're right...either I fabricate something to help remove the unit or look for where I can purchase them. Unfortunately there really is no way behind it. The head unit is located right underneath the glove box on port side and there is no panel in the cubby to attack it from behind. Most likely it was wired ahead of final installation just like a car stereo. I was hopping to avoid a direct replacement but who knows how old it is, I don't mind an excuse to get a new one!