installing remote spotlight

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
I am going to install a wireless remote spotlight on my boat. Is OK to bring power to the light by splicing into the wiring from the bow lights? This way there will only be power to the light when my running lights are on. Could this overload the circuit? I am not sure how many amps the light will have (haven't bought it yet) and I haven't checked out how many amps are on the running light circuit because I have not taken ownership of the boat yet. The boat (280 Sundancer) is available with an optional factory installed spotlight but this boat does not have one.
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: installing remote spotlight

I am going to install a wireless remote spotlight on my boat. Is OK to bring power to the light by splicing into the wiring from the bow lights? This way there will only be power to the light when my running lights are on. Could this overload the circuit? I am not sure how many amps the light will have (haven't bought it yet) and I haven't checked out how many amps are on the running light circuit because I have not taken ownership of the boat yet. The boat (280 Sundancer) is available with an optional factory installed spotlight but this boat does not have one.
Thanks

Ayuh,... I think you'll be miles ahead to run it on it's Own circuit....

Most boats have accessory circuits available to use....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Yep definately run new wiring FROM THE BATTERY or a KNOWN good powersource..... IE if you don't absolutely know that your fusebox has the ability to support the added load don't use it. Your light will work MUCH better if it gets a solid 14 volts than if the voltage drops to 8 when you flip it on.... then there's the whole safety thing.

Perfect example, I recently did some wiring work on dad's bass tracker. From the factory, the boat's entire electrical system was supplied by a single pair of 14 gauge (or maybe even smaller) wires.... just turning on nav lights would cause a voltage drop to the fish finders.... I ran 12 gauge to the fusebox to remedy that.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. That is very helpful information.Does anyone know if a 280 Sundancer would likely have an extra slot for another breaker. I assume the breakers clip in similiar to breakers in a house.

Bondo

Staff member

(haven't bought it yet) and I haven't checked out how many amps are on the running light circuit because I have not taken ownership of the boat yet.
Thanks. That is very helpful information.Does anyone know if a 280 Sundancer would likely have an extra slot for another breaker. I assume the breakers clip in similiar to breakers in a house.

Ayuh,.... 12V breakers are Nothing like those in yer house....

Why don't you buy the boat 1st,....
Then We would have some vague idea of what's there, 'n what ain't....

Is it a New boat, or a Used boat,..??

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Used boat. I was trying to estimate how much it is going to cost me to get the boat in the condition that will fit my boating needs. If I can save the professional labor fees to run a few wires, that woud be great. If It seems like a difficult job better left for the pro's, I need to adjust my alotted budget. I'll be on the boat this weekend and look at the panel. Anything special I shoud look for? A breaker marked "remote spotlight" would be a good sign!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Check the ACCESSORY breakers. They are usually left open from the factory. If a remote spotlight was a factory option, you are liable to have a space labeled SPOTLIGHT with just a plug in the hole instead of a breaker. Simply purchase the correct breaker and pop the plug out.

You have to run new wire for the light. Although, technically, using the bow light wiring would give you convenient power there, it is much too small diameter of wire to support the current draw that a remote spotlight will require. Follow the install specs for the light and use the proper gauge wire, sized breaker, and any relay that it might call for (especially a motorized spot).

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

The boat did have a remote spotlight as an option so I hope that you are right about the accesory blank. I will be able to get on the boat again this weekend and I will check the panel. I didn't consider that the draw on a motorized spotlight would be more than the bow lights but it makes sense. I will probable get a Jabsco or Guest motorized spotlight and I will check the specs regarding the right guage wire and appropriate breaker. I am glad I asked. I have always found these forums to be helpful . Thanks.