New Raymarine e7D plotter/sonar

WaveRay

Recruit
Our flybridge display took a dump last week and since we don't really like the old stuff, are looking to replace it. I spent an hour and a half or so demo'ing the new touch screen combo unit e7D. I really liked it. It seems it would be about perfect for us. I can get into it fairly reasonably then expand later when I need to. (http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.aspx?SITE=1&SECTION=2&PAGE=2027&PRODUCT=4382)
I though I'd mention it here to see if there is anybody that knows anything about it, good or bad, that I don't know.
It'll be on a Bertram 28 on the SE coast of Florida.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Raymarine e7D plotter/sonar

Ray has a reputation of being hard to operate (counter intuitive) compared to some of the other units.

I would look at the Garmin. Garmin is known for their ease of use. The comparable unit to the Ray would be the Garmin GPSMAP 720S

WaveRay

Recruit
Re: New Raymarine e7D plotter/sonar

Hey, bat.
Thanks for responding.
I knew about Raymarine's rep but found out that FLIR Corp bought Raymarine and scrapped about everything but the name. This is their new product and, like I said, I played with it for a while. It is very simple to operate and makes sense to even me. Check out the link I provided and watch the demo vid. It really works like it says it does.
The Garmins were the first thing I looked at but to get a comparable product, it would have cost at least $500 more. And the Garmin didn't have the wi-fi capabilities the Ray has. That is something I will definately use.

Again, thanks for the response.