Can I run 2 VHF radios off 1 antenna?

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Situation: I have a 25 watt VHF radio on my boat with an 8? Shakespeare antenna. This radio works fine. For Christmas my wife bought me a Class D Digital Selective Calling VHF radio. She felt I needed to added protection this radio offers when interfaced with my GPS chart plotter. I would like to keep both radios onboard so that I can monitor various channels simultaneously without having to mess with those scan features.

Question #1: Can I purchase a splitter to run both radios in parallel off of 1 antenna?

Question #2: Even if I can purchase a splitter and wire this thing up correctly, will 2 radios operate properly in parallel off just 1 antenna?

Anyone got any experience with this? Your thoughts please???

halfmoa

Ensign
Re: Can I run 2 VHF radios off 1 antenna?

Doesn't sound safe to me, it sounds like a great way to fry radio A when you key up radio B. JMHO.

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! A lot of views and only 1 reply. Hey, don't be shy. If you have any information about this that is still more than I know.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

I would find myself a marine radio technician as ask them.

NYBo

Admiral

The only splitters I've found are for AIS/VHF sharing. They would allow you to transmit from only one of the units, and they cost as much as an antenna anyway. I would go for a separate antenna. This way you have redundant systems. Losing an antenna isn't that uncommon.

UncleWillie

Captain

What you are looking for is Directional Power Combiner.
Not a Recieve Splitter!
They are common in the Microwave world, not so much in the VHF world.

I searched the Pasternack Catalog and can find none for use under 500 Mhz.
Stock prices are from $350 to $1000

They can make one for you on request. $$$$$ :mad:
A second antenna would be cheaper. :)

Try to separate the antennas horizontally by at least 10 ft. to keep the transmitter from overloading the other receiver.

Alternately, separate them vertically.
One directly above the other.
Antennas radiate out the sides. Not so much straight up and down.

Pete104

Lieutenant

google; shakespear cs-2

Designed specifically for this app. What brand antenna are you using?

chriscraft254

Commander

I am no expert on this but have seen people try the splitters and it seems to never work out well. I would want to seperate antennas for back up puposes.

UncleWillie

Captain

google; shakespear cs-2

Designed specifically for this app. What brand antenna are you using?

He intends to operate both radios in lieu of scanning.
With the switch , the "Unswitched" Radio has no antenna and will not Recieve.
If it was for dual radios, at separate locations, one at a time only, the switch would work.

The Power combiner, or dual antennas, allows dual receive, along with dual transmit.

chriscraft254

Commander

And having two radios is really nice, because then you can leave one on 16 and chatter on the other.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

Options:
- install a second VHF antenna and use 'em both.
- sell the old radio and buy a portable.
Personally, I prefer a portable as a second radio. It's just more versatile than 2 fixed units.
The newer portables have amazing battery life.

jhebert

Ensign

Situation: I have a 25 watt VHF radio on my boat with an 8’ Shakespeare antenna. This radio works fine. For Christmas my wife bought me a Class D Digital Selective Calling VHF radio. She felt I needed to added protection this radio offers when interfaced with my GPS chart plotter. I would like to keep both radios onboard so that I can monitor various channels simultaneously without having to mess with those scan features.

Question #1: Can I purchase a splitter to run both radios in parallel off of 1 antenna?

Question #2: Even if I can purchase a splitter and wire this thing up correctly, will 2 radios operate properly in parallel off just 1 antenna?

Anyone got any experience with this… Your thoughts please???

Answers:

#1: No
#2: No