• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Can I run 2 VHF radios off 1 antenna?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run 2 VHF radios off 1 antenna?

Situation: I have a 25 watt VHF radio on my boat with an 8’ Shakespeare antenna. This radio works fine. For Christmas my wife bought me a Class D Digital Selective Calling VHF radio. She felt I needed to added protection this radio offers when interfaced with my GPS chart plotter. I would like to keep both radios onboard so that I can monitor various channels simultaneously without having to mess with those scan features.

Question #1: Can I purchase a splitter to run both radios in parallel off of 1 antenna?

Question #2: Even if I can purchase a splitter and wire this thing up correctly, will 2 radios operate properly in parallel off just 1 antenna?

Anyone got any experience with this… Your thoughts please???
    Keith

1993 27' Crownline 250CR
    Volvo 740 (7.4 ltr. engine)
    DP-D1 Sterndrive

iboats.com: A boat owner's best friend... if you're fortunate enough to be on land!

Re: Can I run 2 VHF radios off 1 antenna?

Doesn't sound safe to me, it sounds like a great way to fry radio A when you key up radio B. JMHO.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

sigpic

Comment

Wow! A lot of views and only 1 reply. Hey, don't be shy. If you have any information about this that is still more than I know.
      Keith

1993 27' Crownline 250CR
      Volvo 740 (7.4 ltr. engine)
      DP-D1 Sterndrive

iboats.com: A boat owner's best friend... if you're fortunate enough to be on land!

Comment

I would find myself a marine radio technician as ask them.
        Ike
        New Boat Builders Home Page
        "Don't tell me that I can't, tell me how I can."
        Boating Safety Blog

Comment

The only splitters I've found are for AIS/VHF sharing. They would allow you to transmit from only one of the units, and they cost as much as an antenna anyway. I would go for a separate antenna. This way you have redundant systems. Losing an antenna isn't that uncommon.
          Bob, Orange County NY
          '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
          Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
          Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

What you are looking for is Directional Power Combiner.
            Not a Recieve Splitter!
            They are common in the Microwave world, not so much in the VHF world.

I searched the Pasternack Catalog and can find none for use under 500 Mhz.
            Stock prices are from $350 to $1000

They can make one for you on request. $$$$$
            A second antenna would be cheaper.

Try to separate the antennas horizontally by at least 10 ft. to keep the transmitter from overloading the other receiver.

Alternately, separate them vertically.
            One directly above the other.
            Antennas radiate out the sides. Not so much straight up and down.
            Bill, Lorain Ohio
            ---------------------------------------------------
            If you have not already done so....
            To help you get better answers, Specific to your Location.
            At the Top Right of this page, Click on 'Your Name'.
            Then Click "User Settings".
            In the "Location" Box, Enter your General Location. City, State.

Comment

google; shakespear cs-2

Designed specifically for this app. What brand antenna are you using?

Comment

I am no expert on this but have seen people try the splitters and it seems to never work out well. I would want to seperate antennas for back up puposes.

Chris Craft 254 Seahawk
                Visit my refurbish/upgrade project here.
                http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=483913

Comment

Originally posted by Pete104 View Post
                  google; shakespear cs-2

Designed specifically for this app. What brand antenna are you using?
                  He intends to operate both radios in lieu of scanning.
                  With the switch , the "Unswitched" Radio has no antenna and will not Recieve.
                  If it was for dual radios, at separate locations, one at a time only, the switch would work.

The Power combiner, or dual antennas, allows dual receive, along with dual transmit.
                  Bill, Lorain Ohio
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  If you have not already done so....
                  To help you get better answers, Specific to your Location.
                  At the Top Right of this page, Click on 'Your Name'.
                  Then Click "User Settings".
                  In the "Location" Box, Enter your General Location. City, State.

Comment

And having two radios is really nice, because then you can leave one on 16 and chatter on the other.

Chris Craft 254 Seahawk
                    Visit my refurbish/upgrade project here.
                    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=483913

Comment

Options:
                      - install a second VHF antenna and use 'em both.
                      - sell the old radio and buy a portable.
                      Personally, I prefer a portable as a second radio. It's just more versatile than 2 fixed units.
                      The newer portables have amazing battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by rfdfirecaptain View Post
                        Situation: I have a 25 watt VHF radio on my boat with an 8’ Shakespeare antenna. This radio works fine. For Christmas my wife bought me a Class D Digital Selective Calling VHF radio. She felt I needed to added protection this radio offers when interfaced with my GPS chart plotter. I would like to keep both radios onboard so that I can monitor various channels simultaneously without having to mess with those scan features.

Question #1: Can I purchase a splitter to run both radios in parallel off of 1 antenna?

Question #2: Even if I can purchase a splitter and wire this thing up correctly, will 2 radios operate properly in parallel off just 1 antenna?

Anyone got any experience with this… Your thoughts please???
                        Answers:

#1: No
                        #2: No

Comment

Working...
                        X