Minn Kota Edge #55 foot pedal question

scuba_redneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On the edge foot pedal version, does anyone know how to make the foot control switch for momentary button lighter or am I stuck with a heavy (read practically unusable) foot control module? If am looking to get it into the motorguide range for pressure required to operate or close so I don't have to press as hard. Any help is greatly appreciated!

edge_foot_pedal_labeled_1.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota Edge #55 foot pedal question

Thre is obviously something wrong if it requires more pressure than it takes to steer. Have you actually looked carefully under the pedal to see if somthing is jammed in there? Otherwise talk to minnkota customer service.

Eazzy

Seaman

I was having trouble with keeping enough pressure on the button to keep it on . What i did was to build up the button higher with a piece of 3\16 rubber glued to the bottom half of the button it has worked fine sense then . Try taping a piece on first and see if that don't solve your problem.

scuba_redneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well everyone I have found a solution to my heavy pedal problem. I was tinkering with it this weekend and found the solution was much simpler than I originally expected. The photo log attached details what I did for anyone else wishing to do this to their minn kota trolling motor. All I had to do was remove the two springs inside the button and viola! it was beautifully smooth.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 6

scuba_redneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the rest of the pictures

Attachments

• photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 8.JPG
    photo 8.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 9.JPG
    photo 9.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 10.JPG
    photo 10.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 0

Osprey12

Recruit

On the edge foot pedal version, does anyone know how to make the foot control switch for momentary button lighter or am I stuck with a heavy (read practically unusable) foot control module? If am looking to get it into the motorguide range for pressure required to operate or close so I don't have to press as hard. Any help is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 131574

I know this thread is a couple of months old but just came across it, I had a similar issue to scuba and tried his fix for it. Took me about 2 minutes and it works so much better. Will this hurt the pedal in any way in the long run? They must have had a reason to put those springs in there but for the life of me I can't imagine why since it works so much better without them.

scuba_redneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been running the pedal in this configuration since I figured out this fix and have not noticed any damage or wear. The only logical conclusion I have been able to come to as to why they designed it like this is either Ironman or the Incredible Hulk was on the R&D team for this line of trolling motors. I for the life of me cannot fathom why the two springs had to be so heavy. If you are worried about potential long term problems, there might be a hardware store around that has similar dimensioned springs at a lighter compressive weight. Either way, I have been more than happy with my little fix and do not foresee any changes in the future.

I just got my boat, and my friend who is a very experienced boater, picked up on this issue too. Me, being a skinny guy, thought I was just doing it wrong. haha
Great too see that it's an ongoing issue, and there is a fix.
Many thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Most Mom & Pop hardware stores and many home improvement stores have the rows of bins and drawers with all sorts of loose hardware items including springs. Ace hardware is one. Simply replace the sprngs with some with less tension.

aftermath431

Cadet
I just got the edge 45 and I was wondering about why it was so hard to hold down. I'm taking the springs out tomorrow. Don't they test things like this before put them in stores. I'm wondering if they where concerned about a lay suit if it was to light and you didn't have to jump on it to to make it work. And its to far to the left and also should be on the right side where it would be easier to press down if you use your left foot. And don't try hitting the switch bar foot unless you want to pinch your foot all day long. And!!! I don't like the heel block. I don't get the design at all. Did the people designing the foot control actually fish!!!! I had a old minn kota trolling motor with a foot control that was better than the new design. One last thing. why would you make a foot pedal that you have to push so far forward and backwards and have to bend your ankle that far.It's like the foot pedal design was made for safety reasons only not thinking about actually having to use it all day while trying to fish. I want to take the foot pedal an throw it in the water. Ok I feel a little better but they should do something about bad designs before putting them into stores. One last thing the bottom of the pedal as no rubber feets are anything like that. Just plastic so if you dont have carpet in your boat it's not going to stay in place.

Last edited: