Replacing fuse block, Ragin Cajun 185

bassnron

Cadet
First off, I just bought a "new to me" Cajun "Rajin Cajun" 185sc. I was cleaning up the boat and looking at all the systems. I noticed that my fuse block had a good deal of corrosion on some terminals so I want to replace it. It appears to be a 10 fuse panel, but it doesnt appear all the blocks are being used. Does anyone have ideas? How many fuses do you need on a bass boat? Do you think a new 6 block will work? or go with a 10 or 12?

Another electrical question if I may. I was attempting to bypass the trim/tilt relays to check my trim motor and some how killed power. I put the relays back in and they don't even click now.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacing fuse block, Ragin Cajun 185

Boats can vary in the number of circuits, and some are combined. Count how many circuits you need for your specific boat, and give your self 1 or 2 for expansion if you need it.

If you have the glass fuse type (AGC) fuse panel, those are not really the best thing to have on a boat. The holders get corroded and the spring tension is weak and things don't work. The ATC auto type fuse panels are the best way to go.
http://www.iboats.com/Screw-Termina...0436354--**********.958561225--view_id.163741

Another electrical question if I may. I was attempting to bypass the trim/tilt relays to check my trim motor and some how killed power. I put the relays back in and they don't even click now.

Depends on what engine/drive or outboard you have, type of boat doesn't really matter. Then post the problem in the proper engine forum and you should be able to get some specific help.
Year, make, model, and serial numbers of the engine never hurts.

bassnron

Cadet

Thanks Don.
It has auto type fuses. How do I determine how many I need? Other than a jon boat, this is my first boat. My boat does not have a lot of "accessories" I assume guages, misc. lights, fishfinders etc. are a part of required fused systems. I have ordered maint. and owners manual for my motor, but as you well know, books for Cajuns do not exist. Thats why I'm here....To learn.
Thanks for your help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What motor, or engine and drive do you have? Year? Models? Give us something to work with here.

Not ever Ragin Cajun 185 is the same year I would bet. even if it was, what year is it?

bassnron

Cadet

Sorry Don,
it is a 1996 Cajun with a 1991 Evinrude Intruder, 150 Gleis. just has 2 old lowrance x51 and x94 on it. obviously, these will eventually be replaced with newer. it has a couple of locker lights and a minnkota 80 # troller. i had planned on replacing the fb with a newer one just don't know how many.
i was probably going with a 12

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

You probably have about 5 active circuits at the moment, so a block with 10 will give you all the headroom you are likely to need on a bass boat.

The tilt & trim is powered by the motor harness, so you have likely blown the fuse (or popped the breaker) under the motor cowl.

The trolling motor has its own wiring, hopefully with circuit protection near the battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The gauges are also not part of the circuitry associated with the fuse panel. They are powered via the "A" (accessory) terminal on the ignition switch which is in turn protected by the fuse under the engine cowl.