Navigation Light Switch

ryankonen

Cadet
This is probably a stupid question but I don't think my navigation switch is working properly. When I pull it halfway out my pole light comes on and when I pull it all the way out the pole light goes off and the front navigation lights come on. Thanks for your help. Should I replace my switch?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Navigation Light Switch

Hard to say, bit of background. Was it working then stopped and now doing what it's doing? Did you put in a different switch and it doesn't work right?
It's obviously a push pull, but there are several different kinds of push pull. YOu need the right type.

ryankonen

Cadet

Well, when I got my boat the pole light would never work so I just recently was doing some troubleshooting and come to find out the base for the pole is broken inside so I am going to replace it. But as far as the switch goes, I haven't ever touched it. It just seems to me that when I pull it halfway I have power back where the pole light is and then when I pull the switch all the way out the navigation lights come on in the front and I lose power back at the pole light. How do they normally work? i would think that when you pull it out all the way all the lights should be on.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The normal type switch for that, is a pull one notch for circuit 1, pull the second notch for circuits 1 and 2.
1. is the stern light, 2 is the Nav (red/green) light.
If you have the wrong type switch or it's broken inside, either could cause the problem.

Some of those switchs are either 1 or 2 but not both.

ryankonen

Cadet

That answers my question. Thank you Don S. I am going to replace the switch with one that turns on circuit 1 and 2 on the second notch. and turns on circuit 1 on the first notch. Thanks for your help.