Dock power hookup, what do I need?

snake77

Cadet
I have an 85 Renken 22ft cc.
The connector is there but I guess some one removed all of the wiring. I would love to hook it all back up so where do I start or what harness do I need to get and what exactly does the hook up power I would guess the deck lights and cabin lights but is that it, does it pretty much power up the fuse panel.
Is there some kind of a/c to d/c converter or does the shore power hook up already come up d/c.
Thanks for any help at all.
Website links are very welcome to help learn this.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dock power hookup, what do I need?

This is a project that if you have to ask you are probably in over your head and I mean no disrespect when I say that. 120 volts of AC power incorrectly wired can kill you so this is best left to someone very familiary with AC wiring and specifically, marine power systems. In a nutshell, 120 volt shore power can be installed in either of two VERY basic ways. 1) anything you add to the boat in the form of outlets and lights must be 120 volts if you elect not to use an inverter. In other words power enters the entrance panel is mere distributed where you want it just like in your house. 2) If you use an inverter, power enters the panel, feeds the inverter that converts 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC to power the DC circuits on the boat as well as charge the batteries. It can also have a 120 side that feeds things the same way as in #1 above.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is a project that if you have to ask you are probably in over your head and I mean no disrespect when I say that. 120 volts of AC power incorrectly wired can kill you so this is best left to someone very familiary with AC wiring and specifically, marine power systems. In a nutshell, 120 volt shore power can be installed in either of two VERY basic ways. 1) anything you add to the boat in the form of outlets and lights must be 120 volts if you elect not to use an inverter. In other words power enters the entrance panel is mere distributed where you want it just like in your house. 2) If you use an inverter, power enters the panel, feeds the inverter that converts 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC to power the DC circuits on the boat as well as charge the batteries. It can also have a 120 side that feeds things the same way as in #1 above.

Good advice to consult a pro. 120V AC on a boat is not the place to learn.

Good luck...

snake77

Cadet

Well thanks for the replies, is there somewhere I can get some schematics and specs, I was an electrician in the Air force, then continued that into offshore production rigs, and now for the past twelve years have been a jaguar landrover mercedes tech specializing in diagnostics, in wiring and communications through can networking and software.
Now I may not be qualified but I would like to know where to read up on it to see if It is something I can be comfortable with. But you guys have answered some questions now so I was wondering if there was already made generic harness but if calculating through ohms law with loads and amperage pulls being the only way to calculate it then there it is you build a harness.
But I really do appreciate the warning you are certainly correct in this is somewhere you do not want to learn I've seen many accidents and even a couple deaths that hit real close to me on the job.
So if it really is indepth I will not hesitate to leave it to someone who does it every day.
Again thanks guys

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry for assuming you had no electrical experience. From your original post it didn't come across.

So, assuming cc means cuddy cabin, and not center console, we can give you a bit more detail. On a cruiser, the things that run on a/c power are usually only air conditioner, fridge, some outlets, and a battery charging system. The outlets wod be to plug in things lime the ac/dc fridge, microwave, coffee pot, etc. Everything se runs off the batteries as usual and the charging system keeps the batteries up.

120V ac on a boat is not complicated, but there are some VERY important things you need to be aware of like acceptable types of wire and proper grounding. As for grounding, you will come across some very heated debates as to proper grounding (neither of the 2 methods being perfect. To my way of thinking the method you choose depends on wether you will be doing fresh water or salt water boating.

Checkout the previously posted links, making sure you understand the grounding ramifications, and definitely research battery charging systems.

Good luck...

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was looking at those links and now have a better understanding of marine electrical systems, I wouldn't have known these things if I hadn't seen these posts and could have ended up in serious trouble , thanks Don

richw57

Recruit

+1 on Blue Seas. Another helpful site for marine electrical is http://easyacdc.com/. Great for info and eguipment. I too am getting into a new boat, which has shore power.....I never thought of the inverter used to feed 12v systems, they are normally used the other way around. I will need to check, but I think my battery charger will handle that issue when at the dock...(am in the process of buying a 2008 Larson Cabrio 260 which also has a generator), although not all chargers should be used that way....one of the many things associated with cruisers that I need to get up to speed on. Good luck.

Rich