Minn Kota, Endura 30 Amperage draw spec-fyi

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
Was looking into Solar Panels for Marine use and found one at great price w/regulator:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100-Watt-W-S...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item9c0023ff84

Anyway, then it was time to see what my current usage would be in order to get an idea of what amount of time on an average weather summer day it would take to solar charge my 12v batt.

Anyway, anyway, One of the current suckers was my trolling motor. Contacted Minn Kota to find out what the endura 30 draws on a given speed. Was surprised at their response as to how much the endura30 can draw. Thought I'd post the info for the curious or those who will be depending on a battery for trolling motor power without a way to charge while on the water.

Scott,

Below is the information that you requested.

SPEED AMPS THRUST

1 8 4

2 10 6

3 14 10

4 20 15

5 30 30

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota, Endura 30 Amperage draw spec-fyi

So the answer is it will take well in excess of four hours of full sun to charge the battery if it was used to run the troller for one hour at 30 amp draw. That panel is a a bit over four feet square so it woud occupy a fair amount of space on your boat. Another way to look at this is that it would not keep up with demand at even the lowest speed setting. Yes -- it would allow longer run time but would lose ground rapidly at anything more than the lowest speed setting.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You hit it on the head, Silvertip. The answer may ly in going with two batteries independently although one of the two I have is not deep cycle and I don't plan on purchasing another that is. When I use the trolling motor it will be used for just that, meaning my newly converted downrigger now electric will also be used and it draws about 6 amp/hr., but I did design the rigger to operate either electrically or manually, hence the long-time in designing it.

As far as 2x4' panel, I planned on adding a bimini anyway, so I beleive I have the panel space requirement licked and the dc run will be short so that will only allow for better efficiency.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I hope the boat is moored in a secure area. Solar panels are targets for thieves.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It'll be bolted down through the cross-bars. My bigger concern is cutting a 4 holes in the fabric and preventing the hole from growing. I really don't plan on overnight mooring and if I do, all will be secured with an alarm; suppose if they wanted to steal it would be the outboard first.