amp meter to volt gauge ?

gulfvet

Cadet
Swapping my amp gauge to a volt gauge and I know the wiring hook-up is'nt the same. I have a heavy gauge orange wire from the main harness and I am not sure where to put it. I know it does'nt go to the volt gauge. I think it comes from the alternator but not sure. The boat is a 1978 sea sprite w/898. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: amp meter to volt gauge ?

Like to suggest something that may help you, but we're getting into what probably is high amperage stuff here. So without more detailed info and pictures I would'nt chance with guessing. Amperage gauges, as far as my experiences, are either inductor types that are just held against the positive for a reading, or the electronic type including the inline series connector type such as found on most test meters which have a Maximum amp/current capacity that can be put through it and nothing higher.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

1) Remove the ammeter
2) Splice the two wires removed from the ammeter.
3) Install the voltmeter.
4) Connect the negative terminal of the voltmeter to ground or the ground terminal on any other gauge..
5) Connect the positive lead of the voltmeter to the "I" terminal of any other gauge.
6) Connect the "L" (light) terminal to the "L" terminal on any other gauge or to the same light wire that fed the ammeter.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If it were my boat, I would probably do a bit more re-wiring. On the typical ammeter setup, one large wire goes from the alternator to one side of the ammeter and also through a fuse to the ignition switch. The other wire goes back to the battery. The problem is that the alternator then has to deliver its current through this very long wire. I would take the wire that goes back to the battery and have it run through the fuse to the ignition switch. I would remove the wire that goes from the alternator up to the gauge and connect it from the alternator to the battery directly or to the common of a battery selector switch if you have one.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I agree wholeheartedly with Bruces recommendation. I didn't mention that because many folks are electrically challenged and in the rewiring process might create other problems.

gulfvet

Cadet

I had a suspicion that there would be wiring changes at the helm and engine compartment. Thank you all for the input. I think now at this point I will just leave the amp gauge in the gauge pack. This thing has one of those motorola alternators with a million wires coming off of it and I don't want to mess with it so I will just leave it as is. Thanks guys!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you do it like I described, there are no major wiring issues. The alternator works fine with the gauge, it will work just fine without it. Adding the voltmeter has nothing to do with the alternator wiring.